How it works
The AJAX Remote is an advanced, virtual remote control for the Mac®, implemented as web 2.0 application. It is served by the copy of Remote Buddy running on your Mac® - via Wi-Fi® - to your iPhone™ or iPod® Touch, where it runs inside the device's Safari® browser. The AJAX Remote extensively uses Apple's multitouch extension, can be added to the home screen and sports a fullscreen mode, adding further to its native look and feel. The AJAX Remote is part of Remote Buddy.
Proceed to overview »
The Launcher provides quick access to all modules of Remote Buddy's AJAX Remote.
Control Remote Buddy with virtual buttons and touch gestures.
- Gesture and button modes for buttons "Left", "Right", "Up", "Down", "Select"
- Additional buttons "Menu", "Remote Buddy" and "Exit"
- Quit currently controlled application (preconfigured action on the "Exit" button)
Essential tools for mouse control, presentations and beyond.
- Designed specifically for presentations
- Multiscreen support
- Updating ("live") view of your screen
- Mouse control: reposition the mouse cursor and perform left & right clicks
- Mousespot control: channel your audience's attention by highlighting a part of your screen with a nice spotlight effect
- Slide control: integration of the left and right buttons of the remote module
Enter a text and let Remote Buddy type it on your MacŪ via its virtual keyboard.
This module controls iTunes® on your Mac®
- Stream media from your local iTunes® Library (requirement: files already need to be in iPhone™/iPod® Touch compatible format and encoding)
- Browse shared libraries
- Change your system's default audio output
- Select remote speakers supported by iTunes® (AirPort® Express, Apple® TV)
- Live search with text highlighting (local iTunes® library only)
- Change the rating of songs in your local library
- Control volume, repeat and shuffle
- Edit the current playlist
View and save the current picture of your Mac's webcam.
- Updating ("live") picture from your QuickTime® compatible webcam (f.ex. iSightŪ)
- "Take photo" saves a picture to the Pictures folder on your Mac®
Initiate playback of VIDEO_TS folders from Remote Buddy's Movie Library.
- Playback in VLC Media Player or Apple® DVD Player
- Quick switching to the remote control module for playback control
Switch channels, browse and initiate playback of recordings.
- Channel list
- Recordings browser
- Aspect ratio control
- Volume control
All other EyeTV control via the remote control module.
The free AJAX Remote App
for iPhone™ and iPod® Touch. Now in the App Store.
AJAX Remote Requirements
Your setup needs to meet all of the requirements (Mac®, client and network) listed and linked to below. We strongly encourage you to make use of the free Remote Buddy trial version and test it thoroughly to verify that your setup meets all requirements before making a purchase.
Remote Buddy, running on the Mac® you want to control and responsible for serving the AJAX Remote to the client, requires:
- Mac OS® X 10.6 or later (Remote Buddy is available for Mac OS® X only. Other operating systems like Windows® or Linux are not supported).
- An Internet connection (required only during the online verification of a purchased license code).
The following clients are currently supported (one of them is required):
- iPhone™ with OS 3.0 or later.
- iPod® Touch with OS 3.0 or later.
- Safari® 4 or Safari® 5 (running on a computer other than the Mac® you want to control).
A local Wi-Fi® network is required for the communication between the Mac® and the client. The network needs to meet these requirements:
- Client and Mac® must have a stable, reliable connection to the same network.
- The network needs to meet the network requirements as found on the hardware page.
The Remote Buddy FAQ answers frequently asked questions on network topics and also contains a few, pictured network setup how-tos. We're happy to offer this additional information and hope it is useful to those of Remote Buddy's users who have trouble getting their network in compliance with the network requirements. We'd like to point out, however, that network configuration and troubleshooting are not features of Remote Buddy and that we can't offer you individual support in troubleshooting or configuring your network. For individual network setup and troubleshooting support, please contact the makers of the network hardware you are using.
For a complete overview of available support resources, please see the support overview.