- Music Library access is not yet supported under macOS 10.15
- the new Apple TV and Podcasts app in macOS 10.15 are not yet supported
- migration from Remote Buddy Express is not yet implemented
- the padding around iTunes' Now Playing and EyeTV recording overviews is too small
- accessing Help from within Remote Buddy doesn't work
- dark mode is not supported
- not an issue: the Hotkey Remote is now turned off by default. To re-enable it, go to Prefs > Hardware > Virtual Receiver and check the box in front of Hotkey Remote.
- Flirc USB (Gen 2) IR transceiver
- Apple IR receivers
- Keyspan IR receivers (UIA-11, UIA-11F)
- MCE/eHome IR receivers (list of compatible receivers available here)
- Apple Remote
- Keyspan IR remotes
- Logitech Harmony 300
- Logitech Harmony 350
- Logitech Harmony 525
- Logitech Harmony 650
- Logitech Harmony 665
- Logitech Harmony 880
- Logitech Harmony 950
- Logitech Harmony One
- MCE remotes (three common models included)
- Amazon Alexa Voice Remote (Bluetooth LE, included with 2019 / 2nd gen Fire TV Stick)
- Amazon Fire TV Remote (included with 1st gen Fire TV Stick)
- Amazon Fire TV Remote Voice (included with 1st gen Fire TV)
- Logitech Harmony Companion
- Logitech Harmony Elite
- Logitech Harmony Smart Control
- Logitech Harmony Ultimate
- Nintendo Wii Remote (not plus!)
- Satechi Aluminum Remote
- Satechi Media Remote
- SMK Blu-Link PS3 Remote
- Sony PS3 BD Remote
- Keyspan RF Remote for Front Row (with ER-RF1 receiver)
- Griffin AirClick USB
- iOS devices running Remote Buddy Mobile (on the same network)
- tvOS devices running Remote Buddy Display (on the same network)
Status of Siri Remote support
Direct support for Apple's Siri Remote is not planned for the initial 2.0 release. Basic support may follow in a later release. A different, Siri Remote focused product is still under development and scheduled to ship in 2020.
Remote Buddy 2.0 requires a Mac running macOS 10.12 Sierra or later. It's compatible with macOS 10.15 Catalina.
Setting up Harmony IR remotes
Setting up a Harmony IR remote for use with Remote Buddy is really simple:
In Remote Buddy
- Click on Remote Buddy's menu bar icon and select "Setup new device…".
- Select your Harmony IR remote and click "Add device".
- Click "Proceed" after following the displayed configuration steps (reproduced below):
- Launch "MyHarmony.app" and log into your Harmony account.
- Select your Harmony remote.
- Inside the overview for your remote, select "Devices" on the left.
- Click on "Add device".
- Enter "iospirit" as Manufacturer and "Remote Buddy Universal" as Device Model Number.
- Click on the "Add" button.
- Connect your Harmony remote via USB and click on "Sync".
- If the Enter ("E") button below the remote's numpad doesn't work, go to the Buttons section, select the Iospirit Media Player device and check that the Enter command has been assigned to the button. If not, locate it in the list of commands on the right and drag and drop it onto the button.
- If you can't control Remote Buddy with your remote, check that the device has been selected on the remote. You can find the button to which the Iospirit Media Player device has been assigned by selecting Iospirit Media Player under Devices. The name of the button can then be found above the list of actions for the device. Press that button on your Harmony remote to switch to that device and control Remote Buddy.
Setting up Harmony Hub-based remotes
If you have already set up a Harmony Hub-based remote in Remote Buddy 1.x, your settings will be migrated automatically.
If you want to set up a new Harmony Hub-based remote with Remote Buddy 2.0, follow these steps:
- Open the Harmony app on your smartphone
- Switch to the "Devices" tab and select "Edit"
- Tap "+ Device" at the bottom of the list
- On the "Add device" screen, select "Computer"
- On the "Add computer" screen, select "Mac", then tap the ">" arrow at the top
- Select "Yes" when asked if you'd like to creation an Action with the new device
- Under "Choose devices", select only the new device, then tap the ">" arrow at the top
- You're now asked to manually turn on your computer. Tap the ">" arrow at the top.
- You're now asked to confirm your computer is turned on. At this point:
- On your Mac, click on Remote Buddy's menu bar icon and select "Setup new device…".
- Select your Harmony IR remote and click "Add device".
- In the Harmony app on your smartphone, tap the ">" arrow at the top.
- The Harmony now shows pairing instructions. At this point:
- Wait for "Harmony Keyboard" to show up in the Bluetooth device list on your Mac.
- Click "Connect" next to "Harmony Keyboard" to pair it.
- If successful, the app now confirms that the pairing has been successful. Tap the ">" arrow at the top.
- Select "Test later" if asked whether you want to test the Action now.
Adjusting the button configuration
In order to be able to use all buttons on your remote to control Remote Buddy, the actions to some buttons need to be changed in the Harmony app. To do this, follow these steps:
- In the Harmony app on your smartphone, tap the "hamburger" icon at the top-left.
- Select "Harmony Setup".
- Select "Add or edit devices and actions".
- Select "Actions".
- Select the action you created for your Mac.
- Select "Configure Remote".
- Select "Edit Buttons".
- Go through the table below and tap those buttons for which the "Change needed" column contains "Yes", then make sure the Short and Long actions for these buttons match what is listed in the table.
- When done, back out of the menu to sync the changes.
|Button ||Action for Short / Long press ||Change needed |
|Rewind ||Rewind / Rewind ||- |
|Play ||Play / Play ||- |
|Fast Forward ||Fast Forward / Fast Forward ||- |
|Record ||R / R ||Yes |
|Pause ||P / P ||Yes |
|Stop ||S / S ||Yes |
|Red ||C / C ||- |
|Green ||D / D ||- |
|Yellow ||E / E ||Yes |
|Blue ||F / F ||Yes |
|DVR ||V / V ||Yes |
|Guide ||G / G ||Yes |
|Info ||N / N ||Yes |
|Exit ||B / B ||Yes |
|Menu ||Menu / Menu ||- |
|Vol + ||VolumeUp / VolumeUp ||- |
|Vol - ||VolumeDown / VolumeDown ||- |
|Ch Up ||ChannelUp / ChannelUp ||Yes |
|Ch Down ||ChannelDown / ChannelDown ||Yes |
|Direction Up ||DirectionUp / DirectionUp ||- |
|Direction Down ||DirectionDown / DirectionDown ||- |
|Direction Left ||DirectionLeft / DirectionLeft ||- |
|Direction Right ||DirectionRight / DirectionRight||- |
|Direction SelectOK / OK ||- |
|Mute ||Mute / Mute ||- |
|Back ||Back / Back ||- |
|1 ||1 / 1 ||- |
|2 ||2 / 2 ||- |
|3 ||3 / 3 ||- |
|4 ||4 / 4 ||- |
|5 ||5 / 5 ||- |
|6 ||6 / 6 ||- |
|7 ||7 / 7 ||- |
|8 ||8 / 8 ||- |
|9 ||9 / 9 ||- |
|0 ||0 / 0 ||- |
|.- ||H / H ||Yes |
|E ||M / M ||Yes |