Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

23.02.2011 08:33:19
Re: Remote Buddy with EyeTV is not working as expected

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.

However, it does not solve your question to alter the buttons when inside the EyeTV menu, as Felix indicates. I also have not found a way to open specific EyeTV menu items (calling the EPG for instance while inside the live window) with a single buttonpush if they are not available in the normal EyeTV buttonbar at the top of my desktop or as an action in Remote Buddy. 
Actions you can call with a keystroke however are easily programmed in Remote Buddy (e.g. close/open live window etc)

Hi Jurgen & Nicx,

This is quite simple—everything you need is in EyeTV's AppleScript dictionary. To use your example of opening the Guide you'd just have to set Remote Buddy to perform this:

tell application "EyeTV" to set full screen guide to true

That's it!

To see what other commands can be sent through AppleScript just drag the EyeTV icon onto the AppleScript Editor icon or choose File: Open Dictionary... from within AppleScript Editor.

Also, if I understand the original question, the default behaviour of Remote Buddy in EyeTV (or any other app) *can* be overridden if you change Remote Buddy to an AppleScript-based setup. I have many, many instances where a single button will perform any number of functions based on the changing context of the application that I'm using, or by using Remote Buddy's built-in support for storing data in a temporary/permanent file. Here's one of my simpler scripts as an example:

----Begin Code----

-- Modified: February 12, 2011

-- In its default condition (probably on RB's side) EyeTV will scan forward/back 
-- only if the button is held. This script fixes that behaviour, allowing the scan to 
-- continue until the PLAY button is pressed. By default, that press will trigger a 
-- pause, whereas I want it to trigger a return to play

-- EyeTV can't poll for player state so read it from a dynamic file 
tell application "Remote Buddy" 
set player_state to read value for key "com.htpc.eyetv.playerstate" in domain "temporary" with default value "play" 
end tell

-- If player state is anything but play/pause make it play, else toggle play/pause 
tell application "EyeTV" 
if player_state is "scan" then 
play 
else if full screen menu is true or alert menu open is true then 
tell application "System Events" 
keystroke return 
end tell 
else 
playpause 
end if 
end tell

-- Reset the value since scanning is now done