Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

13.02.2007 02:22:00
Switch primary monitor
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
First, I want to say that I love your program. I went from getting no use out of my remote to using it all the time once I bought Remote Buddy. Thanks!

Second, a question--is it possible to create an action that toggles the primary monitor back and forth? I use two monitors with an extended desktop, and whenever I watch anything with Front Row, I like to have it show up on my big external monitor (as opposed to my small laptop), which currently requires fiddling with the System Preferences each time. I'd like to be able to hold down a button on my remote and have the primary monitor switch automatically. Is this possible?

In the Remote Buddy preferences, if I go to Menu/Screen Setting, it seems to list the option, "Main screen to '[external monitor name]'" but I can't seem to do anything with it and it doesn't seem to be available as a behavior to map to any of the buttons. Also, under "Available Behaviors" on the webpage, it seems to list this as a capability under "System Tools." It seems like the program must be capable of doing it, but I can't figure out how. Sorry if I'm missing anything obvious, as I'm fairly new to the program.

Thanks for the help! 

User

13.02.2007 08:53:12
Re: Switch primary monitor
View

Aaron, 
I actually came to the forums today for the same reason. If you go to Preferences, then go to Menu, you can set the Main RemoteBuddy menu to have functions such as: "Move menu to 'iMac'" and "Main screen to 'iMac'".

These work great, but unfortunately I couldn't find a way to set them up to use a global button (such as "Play" being held down), which for me would solve many problems with not having enough buttons to do what I want done.

Another thing that would be nice would to be able to to set a particular key/held key to switch to a set behavior, for instance to set menu held down to automatically start the "Virtual Mouse" behavior, etc.

-Jon 

User

13.02.2007 15:40:50
View

Hmmm, glad I'm not the only one with this problem. After fiddling around under "Menu," I finally figured how to put the screen switching options under my profile. I can't seem to figure out how to make use of something I put in the profile even through the menu.

And I still have no idea how to set these behaviors to a key. 

User

13.02.2007 20:11:01
View

Hello Aaron,

thanks for contributing!

You could create an AppleScript action and invoke an external utility 
like cscreen from there. 
There'll be more options with future releases. Right now, you can 
only access this functionality via the menu as configurable menu 
item. The plan is to make screen settings related actions available 
in a future release.

By default, you'll find all screen settings at

System > Screen Settings > [Your screen]

To use something in your own menu, be sure that your menu is actually 
the selected one in the Preferences (=> which basically means, you 
can see and browse it in the Preferences and its name is in the top 
of the tableview). If it is active, just selecting the respective 
item will trigger the action you're looking for.

Best regards, 
Felix 

User

13.02.2007 20:11:01
Re: Re: Switch primary monitor
View

Hello Jon,

thanks for sharing!

What you suggest is on my ToDo list :-)

Best regards. 
Felix 

User

14.02.2007 00:13:03
View

Hmmm... I'm satisfied going with the customizable menu solution for now, but I'm having trouble figuring that out. Sorry if this is a little basic, but could you walk me through it?

In Prencerences->Menu, I have selected "Aaron's profile" in the right column and put everything I want in it. My problem is, I can't seem to access the customized menu I've made. Is this customized menu supposed to come up every time I activate the menu? All I get now is the same menu I've always had. How do I access this customized menu I've created?

Thanks a lot for all the help. 

User

14.02.2007 05:30:35
View

Press your left button a few times when the menu comes up. I believe it defaults to the "Audio & Video" section, pressing left(back) a few times will get you to the MAIN menu.

User

14.02.2007 05:38:58
View

That did the trick! Thanks again for all the help! 
User

14.02.2007 05:44:56
View

For 1.0?

I had already done the cscreen applescript to have it switch which screen was the main one, but unfortunately Remote Buddy doesn't have an option to always be on the "Main Screen".(I considered scripting Remote Buddy to switch the setting, but thats too much work for now).

User

14.02.2007 11:43:01
Re: Re: Switch primary monitor
View

Aaron:

you can also keep the left button pressed a bit longer while in the 
menu and you'll go directly to the root level of the menu whereever 
you currently are. Please see the FAQ for more shortcuts.

Jon:

thanks for your help - and the fabolous idea of an "menu always on 
current main screen" option. I'll add that.

I hope I can still squeeze it into 1.0. If not, there's always 1.1 ;-)

Best regards, 
Felix