Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

09.07.2010 14:43:59
Lost customized Hierarchical Profile
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
I've been using Remote Buddy in trial mode for several days now. I recently purchased a new Mac Mini and was trying the software out before deciding to purchase.

In the last several days, I've customized several of my menus/behaviors in Remote Buddy with a customized Hierarchical Profile. I assumed that this profile was being saved. I restarted the Mac Mini, opened up Remote Buddy and found my personalized Profile completely gone!

Is there anyway of recovering this file? I don't remember all of the changes that I've made to the menu/behaviors.

I am planning on purchasing Remote Buddy, but had assumed that until the trial was over, it was full-featured. I assumed that this meant saving the profile as well.

Any ideas?

I'm running this on the latest Mac Mini running 10.6.4.

User

09.07.2010 17:40:41
Re: Lost customized Hierarchical Profile
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Thanks for asking.

Remote Buddy is fully featured during trial time and will never delete your preferences even if trial time is over. Remote Buddy also will save any change you make to the menu profiles.

Since Remote Buddy always saves the changes you make using the standard OS X CFPreferences API (which ensures file consistency even in case of application crashes/force quits), the only things I can think of that could cause a loss are a full system volume (preference files, which are usually written with delay and when the application is quit, can't be rewritten in that case and you may end up with an empty file), some sort of "deinstallation" or "cleanup" tool that deleted the menu profile prefs - or - manual, accidental deletion of the prefs file by the user, a power loss while CFPreferences was writing the profile to the prefs, ...

The menu profiles in particular are saved at [Your Home Directory]/Library/Preferences/com.iospirit.remotebuddy.menuprofiles.plist.. If you've already set up Time Machine on your Mac, this may be an easy way to recover a previous version of that file.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz