Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

18.10.2010 22:04:31
Help with behavior
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hi Felix, 
I’ve read through the online help and tried searching the forum but am still left with several questions below: 
1) I'd like to replace an existing default behavior with one that I create with BCK. However, When I tried this, I simply get two Behaviors with the same name. Am I able to delete selected default behaviors that come bundled with RB? (I know I can delete behaviors that I’ve added /created by going to the appropriate path location). 
2) If many custom actions are defined for a particular application is there any way to save these? I know I can do this if I define it as an action/implementation within BCK but for simple keystrokes I was thinking about custom actions as an alternate method. When does one use custom actions vs. BCK? 
3) Lists of actions within a Behavior can get lengthy. Is there a way to print out the list and, if BCK is being used, their defined implementations? 
4) Is there a way to initiate a new behavior within BCK with an existing behavior? That is to load associated actions of a selected Behavior into BCK? 
5) I downloaded a Behavior for XBMC and I’m not sure what it is doing so I need to see how its actions are defined. Is there any way to do that if (4) above is not possible. 
6) If I compile and install a new behavior in BCK I find that I need to quit RB and restart to test the actions. Without doing this how do I know whether RB has indeed been modified with the new BCK behavior (i.e. in the case of just “compile and test” option)? 
7) Is there a more detailed PDF manual available? ...that I am not finding.

Kind regards, 
Earl Kofler

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Configuration
User

30.10.2010 19:15:54
Re: Help with behavior
View

Any Help out there? 
User

08.11.2010 11:10:21
Re: Help with behavior
View

Thanks for asking. Sorry for the late response.

1) I'd like to replace an existing default behavior with one that I create with BCK. However, When I tried this, I simply get two Behaviors with the same name. Am I able to delete selected default behaviors that come bundled with RB? (I know I can delete behaviors that I’ve added /created by going to the appropriate path location).

The best practice is to add custom actions to those Behaviours that you want to add functionality to. That's what they're there for.

You can't remove bundled Behaviours, but you can "deactivate" Behaviours individually by unchecking them at Prefs > Behaviours.

2) If many custom actions are defined for a particular application is there any way to save these? I know I can do this if I define it as an action/implementation within BCK but for simple keystrokes I was thinking about custom actions as an alternate method. When does one use custom actions vs. BCK?

Custom actions are saved to ~/Library/Prefs/com.iospirit.remotebuddy.customactions.plist and can simply be copied to other machines that you want to use them on as well (just make sure RB isn't running on the target machine when you copy it there to avoid potential overwrites).

3) Lists of actions within a Behavior can get lengthy. Is there a way to print out the list and, if BCK is being used, their defined implementations?

There's no such function at the moment.

4) Is there a way to initiate a new behavior within BCK with an existing behavior? That is to load associated actions of a selected Behavior into BCK?

That's not supported, sorry.

5) I downloaded a Behavior for XBMC and I’m not sure what it is doing so I need to see how its actions are defined. Is there any way to do that if (4) above is not possible.

No, sorry. However, custom actions are there to help you build upon existing work.

6) If I compile and install a new behavior in BCK I find that I need to quit RB and restart to test the actions. Without doing this how do I know whether RB has indeed been modified with the new BCK behavior (i.e. in the case of just “compile and test” option)?

All "testdrive" replace older versions of the same Behaviour - with two exceptions: 
1) if you didn't increase the version number, RB will ask you about it 
2) if you changed the unique identifier, the already loaded Behaviour won't be replaced, because it has a different identity

7) Is there a more detailed PDF manual available? ...that I am not finding.

What details are you looking for?

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz