Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

01.02.2011 21:00:36
Harmony & virtual remote
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hi All,

I'm trying to set up the virtual remote as described here: 
http://www.iospirit.com/blog/article/131/Remote-Buddy-and-Boxee-Plex-and-XBMC/

However, the labels for the virtual remote buttons don't match those shown (mine say "up" instead of "+", and "down" instead of "-" for example), and there's no up-held or down-held option.

Has anyone else found this?

I will try and find a way to post a screenshot...

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Harmony® Smart Control
User

03.02.2011 00:01:01
Re: Harmony & virtual remote
View

Thanks for asking.

1) "Up" and "Plus" -- and "Down" and "Minus" are identical. The buttons were renamed from "Plus" to "Up" and from "Minus" to "Down" because the buttons on the new aluminum Apple Remote are no longer labeled at all. They were on the predecessor - the white Apple Remote. The new names, however, accurately describe the buttons on both the original and the aluminum version of the Apple Remote.

2) The OS X Apple Remote subsystem (and thus the Virtual Remote) knows no "Up (held)" or "Down (held)". It really only knows "Up" and "Down".

3) The pictured tour in the blog post you reference - in its last picture - shows you which actions to assign to the "held" entries for the Up/Down buttons: the same ones that you also assign to the "non-held" button states.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

05.02.2011 18:00:12
Re: Harmony & virtual remote
View

Thanks for that.

I have now managed to assign a software button on my Harmony to open the Remote Buddy menu. I'm using RB in multi-remote mode. My harmony is translated into 10 logical apple remotes, labelled "Apple Remote", "R151" through to "R160" (with no "R156"), where the number corresponds to the apple remote ID.

My remote buddy button on the Harmony is mapped to the Right button on R157, and is mapped in the global mapping. This does open the Remote Buddy menu when pressed, but doesn't close the Remote Buddy when pressed again. Instead, it seems to be being translated as a right button press when pressed for the second time. Any ideas how I can make this happen? 

User

06.02.2011 18:20:01
Re: Re: Harmony & virtual remote
View

The support for multiple remotes is designed for use with actual Apple Remotes. It can be used in the way you describe to get more buttons via using a universal remote. But this is not officially supported - and while it'll work well most of the time, the trick of imitating multiple Apple Remotes doesn't work well in places where the use of a true Apple Remote is assumed:

When you're inside the Remote Buddy menu, the actual button codes are used for navigation. This is hard coded and can't be customized. For a table of what button does what, please see the Remote Buddy Help.

Therefore, the "Right" button will perform the respective action that makes sense when you press the "Right" button on an Apple Remote. To dismiss the menu in every context, the press of the "Menu" button is expected. The button used to open the menu doesn't play any role here - and for good reason:

Sometimes, it makes perfect sense to open the Remote Buddy menu with a button other than the menu button - so this is supported. But imagine you'd be opening the menu with f.ex. the "Left" button on an actual Apple Remote. If the menu would also close on the use of the "Left" button - which is critical to providing a working navigation (=> going up one level) - you could no longer completely navigate the menu.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz