Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

16.08.2011 21:24:48
Lion/PS3 Remote no wake from sleep/missing after wake
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Currently using Lion with 1.18.1 and I can't seem to wake my Mac from sleep with the PS3 remote. If I wake it from sleep with my bluetooth keyboard, it wakes up (so you can take the bluetooth wake support out of the mix) but the PS3 remote, even tho it shows up in the bluetooth control panel and Remote Buddy, can't reconnect. I need to reboot for it to connect. What's the best way to fix this? 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Sony® BD Remote Control
Hardware - Wii™ Remote
User

19.08.2011 16:47:02
Re: Lion/PS3 Remote no wake from sleep/missing after wake
View

Thanks for asking.

Please check System Preferences > Bluetooth > More/Advanced options > Enable bluetooth devices to wake computer (or similar). Is it enabled?

Are you running OS X Lion 10.7 or OS X Lion 10.7.1?

Are you using an internal Apple Bluetooth module - or a third-party Bluetooth USB stick?

Which Mac model are you using? Is it one of the recently introduced, new Mac Mini/MacBook Air versions?

What happens if you quit and relaunch Remote Buddy when you're experiencing the issue of the remote control not being "seen" by Remote Buddy? And, at the time the problem occurs, do you see the "Bluetooth Receiver" device in Prefs > Hardware?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

07.09.2011 19:17:10
View

Thanks for asking.

Please check System Preferences > Bluetooth > More/Advanced options > Enable bluetooth devices to wake computer (or similar). Is it enabled?

Yes it's enabled. The bluetooth keyboard I'm using is able to wake the machine.

Are you running OS X Lion 10.7 or OS X Lion 10.7.1?

Running 10.7.1 now but this also happened on 10.7.0

Are you using an internal Apple Bluetooth module - or a third-party Bluetooth USB stick?

I'm using the Belkin Mini Bluetooth Laptop Adapter 
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E96JBK/ref=wms_ohs_product_T2

Which Mac model are you using? Is it one of the recently introduced, new Mac Mini/MacBook Air versions?

Here's the part where you tell me to screw off :)

I have a MacBook Pro, a MacBook and (4) Hackintoshes. This machine I'm testing on is an HTPC hackintosh but like I said, the keyboard DOES wake the computer so I know bluetooth is functioning to wake the PC. I'm going to test it out on my MacBook to see if it's a hackintosh thing. I also have an Apple branded bluetooth module I'll be installing in the hackitnosh to test as well. I thought, since reading the blog post, this might be a known issue for the PS3 remote. Also know that I've been building HTPC hackintoshes for a couple years now and remote buddy has always worked in the past on Snow Leopard for this purpose.

What happens if you quit and relaunch Remote Buddy when you're experiencing the issue of the remote control not being "seen" by Remote Buddy? And, at the time the problem occurs, do you see the "Bluetooth Receiver" device in Prefs > Hardware?

I'm able to see the remote again if I do this. The bluetooth receiver never disappears, neither does the Apple BT keyboard I have. That always works. It's only my PS3 remote which is why I thought it was remotebuddy related. 
User

08.09.2011 16:18:19
View

Okay I take that last piece back, after waking from sleep, the ps3 remote doesn't work even if I restart remote buddy. In the bluetooth control panel, it says Not connected and Not Paired as well. 
User

09.09.2011 16:24:01
View

Thanks for the info.

I'm using the Belkin Mini Bluetooth Laptop Adapter 
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E96JBK/ref=wms_ohs_product_T2

During a recent research project of mine, I encountered a USB Bluetooth stick that OS X recognizes, but which couldn't wake the Mac.

This machine I'm testing on is an HTPC hackintosh [..]

Please test on an Apple Mac. I can't offer support for Hackintosh configurations.

Also know that I've been building HTPC hackintoshes for a couple years now and remote buddy has always worked in the past on Snow Leopard for this purpose.

Sadly, when something worked in the past, there's no guarantee it continues to work in the future. Apple has made a lot of changes to Bluetooth even in minor OS X releases - and Lion is no exception. In fact, Apple made a lot of changes to the Bluetooth stack in Lion.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

22.09.2011 20:40:53
View

So I think I've figured it out. If the PS3 remote is disconnected at the time (as in it's timed out after being not active for 5 minutes) and then the Mac goes to sleep, the PS3 remote will NOT wake the PC up. Is this behavior as expected? My temporary solution is to set the sleep timer to less than the PS3 disconnect. 
User

28.09.2011 10:04:01
View

So I think I've figured it out. If the PS3 remote is disconnected at the time (as in it's timed out after being not active for 5 minutes) and then the Mac goes to sleep, the PS3 remote will NOT wake the PC up. Is this behavior as expected?

The behaviour of a Mac with built-in Bluetooth adapter is different: it can be woken even by a disconnected remote.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz