Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

18.04.2012 06:40:16
Kernel Panic on 10.5.8 PPC
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
I'm experiencing kernel panics on my Mac Mini G4 running 10.5.8. The screen mentions RBIOHelper.kext (version 1.8.0) and I'm wondering if there's an older version of this kext that I can install. I know the PPC isnt supported anymore, but I've ran Remote Buddy for years without a problem and now I'm getting these panics. Any ideas?

Thanks 
Tim 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

General
User

21.04.2012 11:00:01
Re: Kernel Panic on 10.5.8 PPC
View

Thanks for asking.

You can find the last version of Remote Buddy with PowerPC support here: 
http://www.iospirit.com/support/faqs/remotebuddy/category/6/General/entry/245/Where-can-I-get-the-last-version-of-Remote-Buddy-that-also-runs-on-PowerPC-Mac-running-OS-X-10-4-6-10-5-8/

If everything worked fine and - without any change to the driver in question - panics occur, this is often an indicator of failing hardware rather than a software bug. Please take this into account.

I once spent days trying to debug an issue with a Linux kernel module that seemed to cause random panics - only to find that pretty much all of the electrolyte capacitors around the CPU had blown up when I eventually opened the machine. Having seen that, it's still a miracle to me how that machine even booted. Once I replaced the motherboard, the kernel module just worked and the Linux machine ran reliable until I eventually replaced it with a Mac Mini server.

I can take a look at the panic.log if you'd like, but I can't guarantee that I can extract any useful information out of it.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

23.04.2012 08:04:09
View

Thank you for the reply.

I have been using the version you noted - I think its 1.16? My system doesn't seem to be logging the panic (although I may not be looking in the right place for it). If I can find it, I'll send it along ( or possibly take a photo of the screen).

The system behaves normally without the driver installed, so I'm not seeing any other signs of hardware issues, but its something for me to consider.

Is there any way to obtain an older version of the driver only to see if it behaves differently? I'm one of those users who is still on a G4 PPC.

Thanks again.

Tim

User

24.04.2012 21:26:01
View

The last version with PowerPC support - as found in the FAQ - is version 1.16.6.

You mentioned that you saw RBIOKitHelper in your panic log. Where did you see it mentioned?

Panic logs are usually stored at /Library/Logs/PanicReporter .. do you see any files there?

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz