Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

26.06.2013 23:16:58
best way to control iMac 2013?
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
I already have a magic trackpad to control my iMac that is in an other room but controlling XBMC is tricky even with BTT. 
I have a Harmony remote that is IR, I'd like to use but I can get other hardware if needed.

What I'd like to do is to launch xbmc and control it with a remote. Preferably something that takes less space than a full keyboard and magic trackpad.

Any suggestions would be welcome! 

User

27.06.2013 10:57:02
Re: best way to control iMac 2013?
View

Thanks for asking.

You could add the Apple Remote profile to your Harmony and then control XBMC on your Mac via Remote Buddy and an USB IR Receiver (the IR Receiver in the new iMacs fell victim to the slimmer design). Good choices there are the Keyspan IR Receivers as found on the Remote Buddy Hardware page - or compatible eHome/MCE receivers (like the Manta TR1, which is currently on sale for 19.99 CAD$ at http://twistedmelon.com/shop/).

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

27.02.2014 10:12:02
View

Thanks for the answer. :) 
I mailed Twisted Melon about the Manta TR1.

They said that as usual IR devices need "line of sight" to function. But an indirect line of sight may also work. 
To quote them to avoid misunderstandings. 
"That can be via indirect line of sight through bouncing the signal off walls even when the receiver is partially hidden, but you can't for example have the receiver on one floor of the house and use the remote on another."

Now the Manta is out of stock at the moment so I'll try my luck with a $13 Philips OVU412000 from eBay/China.

Last edited: 27.02.2014 11:13:32 

User

29.07.2014 21:26:31
View

Hi, sorry to barge in on this thread, but I think my question is similar/identical.

I am about to retire my old trusted Mac Mini HTPC (with Plex) and the replacement won't have a built-in IR receiver.

All the external receivers suggested here on the site are either out of stock or discontinued - can you suggest current IR hardware that works with RB (Apple Remote functionality would suffice - EyeTV is not an option, I don't want to have EyeTV running in the background just to use the remote). It has to be IR, as I would like to keep using my universal remote (no smart phone app, no bluetooth remote).

Thanks. 

User

29.07.2014 22:34:45
View

Hi, sorry to barge in on this thread, but I think my question is similar/identical.

I am about to retire my old trusted Mac Mini HTPC (with Plex) and the replacement won't have a built-in IR receiver.

All the external receivers suggested here on the site are either out of stock or discontinued - can you suggest current IR hardware that works with RB (Apple Remote functionality would suffice - EyeTV is not an option, I don't want to have EyeTV running in the background just to use the remote). It has to be IR, as I would like to keep using my universal remote (no smart phone app, no bluetooth remote).

Thanks.

Just checked about the Philips OVU412000 which I got from eBay a while back, and it's still available for $10. :) 

User

29.07.2014 23:16:02
View

Availability can vary by country, but you can prefilter what hardware is currently available by selecting "Good" in the "Availability" filter row on the Remote Buddy Hardware page.

If you're looking for an IR receiver with good availability, you can buy a Manta TR1 for (currently) 18$ + shipping at http://twistedmelon.com/shop/

Full support for multiple Apple Remotes is currently only available for built-in Apple IR receivers. I hope to have news regarding this later this year, though.

Remote Buddy can still forward the Apple Remote ID for each button press to other applications, though, so that you can still use f.ex. Plex' own built-in Harmony remote support.

Which universal remote are you currently using?

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

30.07.2014 07:05:09
View

Availability can vary by country, but you can prefilter what hardware is currently available by selecting "Good" in the "Availability" filter row on the Remote Buddy Hardware page.

If you're looking for an IR receiver with good availability, you can buy a Manta TR1 for (currently) 18$ + shipping at http://twistedmelon.com/shop/

Full support for multiple Apple Remotes is currently only available for built-in Apple IR receivers. I hope to have news regarding this later this year, though.

Remote Buddy can still forward the Apple Remote ID for each button press to other applications, though, so that you can still use f.ex. Plex' own built-in Harmony remote support.

Which universal remote are you currently using?

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz

I'm currently using a Harmony 300 (older model) to simulate a single Apple Remote. I really wanted to use FLIRC only, but I haven't found a way to control Remote Buddy with the FLIRC receiver, as it can apparently only send key xommands.

I searched on Amazon(AT) and geizhals for some of the listed receivers, but most of the Philips OVUs are not in stock or have lacking or no description at all..

Sorry to derail this here a little, but do you see a way to use a FLIRC with RB?

If all fails I will have to buy a receiver from abroad/ebay and try my luck.