Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

16.02.2014 19:33:23
RBIOKithelper.kext error in Onyx
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
On performing an automated cleanup with Onyx 2.8.2 on Mavericks 10.9.1, I get the message that RBIOKithelper.kext is not from a recognised Developer. This error only recently appeared recently while using Onyx on a newly-installed internal hard drive. Is this pointing to a problem or should I just ignore it? 
User

17.02.2014 10:45:01
Re: RBIOKithelper.kext error in Onyx
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Thanks for asking.

RBIOKitHelper.kext has a valid Developer ID signature and is therefore, in Apple's terms "from a recognized developer".

Any change to the kext will, of course, render the code signature invalid and make the kext appear not to be "from a recognized developer".

[rant] 
There's, unfortunately, a growing number of heavily advertised applications out there that promise "space savings" on one's harddrive/SSD by "removing unneeded 32 Bit code" or "removing unneeded files" when all they do is run free developer tools to strip binaries or simply delete folders inside application bundles that contain localizations for languages not used by the user. This, however, will break the signature of any code signed application, including the ones signed with an Apple Developer ID. Which in turn can make it impossible for a user to start or use an application. And even if one can still start an application following such "optimization", that application is no longer able to access items in one's keychain or offer network services, no matter what one sets in Keychain Access.app or in System Preferences.

My best advice, therefore is to simply stay away from any software that makes any such claims about "optimizing" one's software or harddrive. That software, in my book, is worse than anti-virus software and it wouldn't, in fact, surprise me in the least if their next step is try selling people software that helps "find defective software" on their system, charging premium dollars for a glorified user interface to running OS X' own codesign tool. 
[/end of rant]

Here's how you can verify the integrity of RBIOKitHelper.kext on your system in Terminal.app (output on my system below).

1) Show details about the signature by entering 
codesign -dvvv /System/Library/Extensions/RBIOKitHelper.kext

2) Check validity of the signature by entering 
codesign -vvv /System/Library/Extensions/RBIOKitHelper.kext

$ codesign -dvvv /System/Library/Extensions/RBIOKitHelper.kext 
Executable=/Volumes/Remote Buddy/Remote Buddy.app/Contents/Resources/Candelair.prefPane/Contents/Resources/RBIOKitHelper.kext/Contents/MacOS/RBIOKitHelper 
Identifier=com.iospirit.driver.rbiokithelper 
Format=bundle with generic 
CodeDirectory v=20100 size=162 flags=0x0(none) hashes=1+3 location=embedded 
Hash type=sha1 size=20 
CDHash=51674fb0081050b6dd4187ee27778db81f3a599d 
Signature size=4220 
Authority=Developer ID Application: IOSPIRIT GmbH 
Authority=Developer ID Certification Authority 
Authority=Apple Root CA 
Signed Time=26.11.2013 11:50:40 
Info.plist entries=19 
Sealed Resources version=1 rules=4 files=0