Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

03.08.2014 13:09:36
Shortcut to XBMC?
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Is there a way to start XBMC faster?

Right now I press "menu" to activate remote buddy, then I press "back" a couple of times to go back to XBMC, then I press to chose XBMC and then I press to activate XBMC. 

User

09.08.2014 12:04:01
Re: Shortcut to XBMC?
View

There are several ways to speed this up:

1) dedicating a button solely to start / activate XBMC: 
a) go to Prefs > Mapping > Global mapping 
b) choose a button you want to use for starting/activating XBMC and *nothing else*. 
c) select the action "Behaviours > Activate XBMC Behaviour" for that button

2) always open the menu at root level 
a) go to Prefs > Mapping > Global mapping 
b) for the Menu button, pick the action that opens the menu at the root level

3) long-press left when the RB menu is open to jump right to the root level of the menu

4) create your own menu profile and place the XBMC item where you want 
a) go to Prefs > Menu 
b) press "+" and select a profile to start from 
c) select the new menu profile and press the checkmark to make it the active one 
d) use drag and drop to add new items 
e) add the "Behaviours > Activate XBMC Behaviour" to create an item that directly starts/activates XBMC (saves you the extra step of choosing "Activate Behaviour")

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

11.08.2014 12:14:28
View

Thanks for the quick reply.

I tried the 1st suggestion, which seems to be the best solution, but I can't get it to work. I tried remapping various buttons to "activate XBMC Behaviour" but the XBMC simply does not launch. I see that the harmony hub light blink when I press a button but nothing happens. Some other keys I mapped even make a "blip" sound when I click but nothing happens again. 
i use the Harmony Smart Control, with the simple remote. If that makes any difference.

I am using suggestion number 2 at the moment which works but it'd be great if I could get the first one to work. 

User

11.08.2014 22:11:01
View

Does XBMC already run - and this doesn't make it the active app. Or does XBMC not run at all at the time you try this action?

Have you set up your Harmony Smart Control with Remote Buddy using this How-To?

http://www.iospirit.com/blog/article/184/-/

Here's also a table that shows how every button should be configured in the Harmony app so that the Harmony sends the button code to Remote Buddy that it expects:

http://www.iospirit.com/support/faqs/remotebuddy/category/23/Hardware-Harmony-Smart-Control/entry/265/-/

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

11.08.2014 23:55:47
View

That was it!

It seems I misunderstood the instructions and didn't remap the "blue" buttons. Now everything works perfectly!

Thanks for the help! :D 

User

13.08.2014 22:25:14
View

Hm, an other question arised.

Now that I have mapped all buttons correctly. 
I also mapped Vol+ to L1 and Vol- to L2. 
So now I can't control the volume on the receiver when using remote buddy.

Any suggestions on how to fix that? 

User

15.08.2014 14:27:02
View

It really depends on what you want to use them for within the context of that activity:

1) if you want to use them with Remote Buddy, L1 and L2 are what they should be mapped to.

2) if you want to control volume on the receiver, you'd need to go back into the Harmony app and assign the respective commands for your receiver to these buttons.

I'm afraid there's no middle ground in this case.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

15.08.2014 15:17:33
View

Ok, I was afraid it would break compatibility with remote buddy completely if I changed those two. Which it didn't. :D

All other Remote Buddy buttons continue to work as expected and now I can control the AV Receiver volume too.

Thanks again! Remote Buddy is a saviour! Thanks for making it!

Last edited: 15.08.2014 15:17:46