Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

10.08.2014 23:26:53
Harmony Smart Remote Problems
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Following the directions on this page https://secure.iospirit.com/blog/article/184/-/ I have been able to get my Harmony remote to register as a bluetooth device, however I can't get it to control applications. It appears the IR remote is overriding the bluetooth device. See attached. 
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/170624/remotebuddy/plex.png 
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/170624/remotebuddy/hardware.png

I'm using RB v 1.25.2. 
I know the bluetooth device is properly paired and connected. 
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/170624/remotebuddy/bluetooth.png

If I disable the IR remote I'm unable to control anything. What am I missing?

Last edited: 10.08.2014 23:30:18 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Harmony® Smart Control
Hardware - Wii™ Remote
User

11.08.2014 21:25:01
Re: Harmony Smart Remote Problems
View

Remote Buddy supports more than one remote at once. The Apple Remote and the Harmony Smart Control won't stand in any conflict with each other.

From the screenshot, everything looks fine and I don't think this is an issue with Remote Buddy.

If you can control your Mac with the Smart Remote if the Apple Remote in Remote Buddy is enabled, but you can't control it when you disable the Apple Remote, I think it's highly likely that:

a) you used the Harmony software to add another device (like an Apple TV or - directly - the Apple Remote)

b) the Harmony activity you are using at the time you notice this phenomena is the activity for that (Apple Remote) device, and not the activity that you set up using the How-To.

For more clarity, please try selecting the "PS3" activity (that was set up in the How-To) on your iPhone. That makes sure that this activity is selected (for both the Harmony app as well as for the Smart Control remote). Then press buttons on your Harmony Smart Control. They should now trigger the actions assigned to the "Harmony Smart Control" remote in Remote Buddy.

Using the iPhone app just makes testing this easier, in everyday use you can of course also switch activities on the Smart Control directly (taken from http://www.iospirit.com/support/faqs/remotebuddy/category/23/Hardware-Harmony-Smart-Control/entry/261/-/):

• Wrong/No Activity: the Smart Control will only send your button presses to Remote Buddy if you've selected the "Remote Buddy" activity. Activities on the Harmony Smart Remote are chosen by pressing one of the buttons from the "Music, TV, Movie" row at the top of the remote. Please note: short and long presses of these buttons can select different activities.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 
User

11.08.2014 21:33:44
View

Thanks Felix. Based on your feedback I think I understand what the problem is. I wasn't aware that selecting an Apple device defaults to using the IR remote. I did create a custom action that included more than just the PS3 device, it included a Mac Mini. I'll try removing the Mini and see if that solves the problem.

Previously I implemented the Harmony Smart Remote using the multiple IR remote method. This is vastly easier then trying to map 10 individual IR remotes.

Thanks again! 

User

11.08.2014 21:59:01
View

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me! 
User

12.08.2014 06:09:59
View

Removing the Mac Mini from my activity did the trick. Everything works great now. I don't understand how Remote Buddy knows that The Harmony Smart Remote isn't using an Apple device. I see now Remote Buddy displays the Harmony remote instead of the Apple Remote in the menus as well. I might reinforce the fact you cannot add an Apple device to the same activity as the PS3. This was completely lost on me because I was under the impression the Remote Buddy was unaware what devices the Harmony remote was using.

Thanks again 

User

12.08.2014 12:34:01
View

Remote Buddy is unaware of what you have configured in the Harmony software. It however keeps all eyes and ears open for incoming signals of hardware it supports. This includes the built-in Apple IR receiver.

If you set up an activity within the Harmony software that includes both a PS3 remote and an Apple Remote, the Harmony software will most likely try to build a "Frankenstein" activity that is a mix of both PS3 remote commands and Apple Remote commands. Then, depending on which button you press, it'll send out button presses to Remote Buddy via Bluetooth for those buttons that it put in the PS3 device's "basket" - and will send Apple Remote button codes via IR for those buttons that it determined should go to the Apple device.

Remote Buddy, on the other hand sees signals coming in from a PS3 remote and an Apple Remote - and processes them accordingly. Or said different: in such a setup, the Harmony simulates two different remotes for a single activity - and Remote Buddy consequently also sees two remotes and handles the incoming signals as if they were from two different, separate remotes.

If all you want to do within the activity is control your Mac, then the easiest and best way is to only use the PS3 device in that activity - since all buttons are available for you to configure within Remote Buddy anyway.

If you want to control both your Mac and another Apple device (f.ex. an Apple TV, iPod IR dock, ..) within a single activity, you can still do that, but you'll probably have to do a lot of manual tweaking of the Harmony profile so that the Harmony really sends the button code you want it to send for each button. You'd also most likely want to make sure that your Mac no longer responds to the Apple Remote the Harmony simulates, be it through disabling the IR Receiver in System Preferences - or pairing a different Apple Remote with your Mac.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz