Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

29.06.2015 13:22:59
Why no a real integration of Harmony Smart control
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hi

Why there isn't a real integration of Hamony Smart control with remote buddy ? 
Why do you use a playstation 3 remote to simulate the harmony smart control ?

the current integration isn't stable : 
- i have to press a key to connect the harmony during few secondes after activity initialisation 
- i loose connection sometime and i need to re-pair the harmony

Thanks a lot for your explanation. 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Harmony® Smart Control
User

29.07.2015 09:48:02
Re: Why no a real integration of Harmony Smart control
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.

Why there isn't a real integration of Hamony Smart control with remote buddy ?

Remote Buddy does offer a real integration with the Harmony Smart Control.

Why do you use a playstation 3 remote to simulate the harmony smart control ?

Because it is a Bluetooth device supported by the Harmony Hub that 
1) is not a keyboard (OS X requires apps that want exclusive access to a keyboard to run as root, whereas OS X is fine to provide exclusive access to a remote control device like a PS3 remote to any app running in the context of the user) 
2) provides enough Commands to assign one to every button 
3) already assigns Commands to most of the remote's buttons

The other possible devices (keyboard or Wii Remote) either would require Remote Buddy to run as root to get incoming events - or not offer enough commands to cover all buttons of the remote.

the current integration isn't stable : 
- i have to press a key to connect the harmony during few secondes after activity initialisation

Please check that you have not checked any of the power saving options at Remote Buddy > Preferences > Hardware > Bluetooth Receiver > Energy saving.

In the test I just ran the Harmony does not disconnect by itself nor does Remote Buddy disconnect it even after 20 minutes of not using the remote at all.

- i loose connection sometime and i need to re-pair the harmony

The Bluetooth connection is completely managed by the OS X Bluetooth stack and the Harmony hardware. Remote Buddy's job is limited to watching for OS X to announce that the Harmony Hub has (!) connected - and then grab and interpret the events OS X makes available. It has no part in checking or managing pairings, accepting or declining connections.

Any loss of connection and requirement for re-pairing is therefore an issue between the OS X Bluetooth stack and the Harmony software.

That said, I have not personally experienced this issue with either OS X 10.10 or 10.11, but know that older OS X versions have shipped with - in part - very buggy OS X Bluetooth stacks. Which OS X version are you using?

Cheers, 
Felix