What is Vidimote?
Vidimote is a Safari extension for macOS and iOS that lets you control web videos with advanced controls for playback, speed, jumping back/forward, picture-in-picture, AirPlay, volume/mute and additional time information.
On macOS, Vidimote extends picture-in-picture with additional playback and speed controls for Safari web videos.
- Player controls in a popup: Vidimote's player controls are shown in the extension's popup, which can be opened via Safari's toolbar or extension button.
- Extended picture-in-picture (macOS only): on macOS, Vidimote extends Safari's PiP feature with additional controls (jump back/forward, speed) and time remaining until the end of the video.
- Adjust speed in fine increments: supports playback speeds from 0.5x to 2x. To allow users to play videos just at the right speed, Vidimote is not limited to a few fixed multipliers (like 1.25x, 1.5x, etc.), but instead allows to adjust speed with a slider in fine 0.05 increments.
- Set a default speed: automatically sets the playback speed of new videos to a speed set by the user in Vidimote's settings.
- Jump forward/backward: allows to quickly go back and forward a number of seconds in a video. The default jump interval is 10 seconds, but users can also pick their own for each direction.
- Picture-in-picture: enter or exit picture-in-picture (PiP) for a video.
- Actual time remaining: remaining time takes the video speed into account, so that what is shown is the actual remaining time.
- Clock time for livestreams: for live streams, shows the approximate clock time for the current stream position. This makes it easier to f.ex. find the beginning of a show in a live stream that supports time shifting.
- Fullscreen: triggers fullscreen for videos (iOS only).
- AirPlay: brings up an AirPlay picker for sending the video to an AirPlay target.
- Volume / Mute: mutes audio (iOS and macOS) and allows controlling volume with a big slider (macOS).
- Settings: allows setting jump intervals (from 1 to 90 seconds), minimum and maximum speed (from 0.1x to 10x) and a default speed.
<video> control: Vidimote directly controls
<video> elements, allowing it to offer the same playback controls everywhere - regardless of what a website's own player implements. Its unique, mesh-based architecture allows Vidimote to find and control even videos that are embedded several layers deep.
- Highly compatible: successfully tested with countless websites, including those of Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, Netflix, Vimeo, YouTube, MagentaTV, Dailymotion, Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, Skillshare, TED.com, Udemy, Amazon Drive, Dropbox, Microsoft OneDrive, Nextcloud, ownCloud, Arte.tv, BBC.com, CNBC.com, DasErste.de, NBCNews.com, NYTimes.com, Sueddeutsche.de, ZDF.de and many others.
Pricing & Availability
Vidimote is available for 2.99 US$ / 2.99 € from the App Store as a Universal Purchase (versions for iOS/iPadOS and macOS are included with a single purchase).
Vidimote is localized in English and German.
On iPhone and iPad, Vidimote requires iOS, iPadOS 15 or later.
On Mac, Vidimote requires macOS 10.13 or later and Safari 13.1.2 or later.
Vidimote can only be used in Safari.
Download all images
Videos | iPad / iPhone | Mac | Artwork | Logos
iPad / iPhone
Original Release Date and History
Vidimote was first released on September 20, 2021, alongside iOS 15.
Vidimote for Mac was first released on November 30, 2021.
IOSPIRIT GmbH was founded by Felix Schwarz in 2004 and is based in Germany. Indie since 1995, Felix has developed software for various platforms and technology stacks, including Amiga, Windows, Linux, Mac, iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, Apple TV and the web.
Please don't hesitate to contact us with any question you might have. We're happy to answer them!
Sign up for email updates
Some material on this page from Big Buck Bunny, (c) copyright 2008, Blender Foundation / www.bigbuckbunny.org.