Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

26.11.2011 13:20:05
Re: Remote Buddy thinks iTunes is foremost even though it's actually Finder or flash player plugin.

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.

In a nutshell, this is what Remote Buddy does to determine which application to control / which Behaviour to pick:

1) Check the currently active (in terms of "input focus") application: if there's a behavior for it, it gets picked. If not, it proceeds with 2).

2) Check which applications are running in the background: if there's a behavior that supports background control of a running application, it gets picked. If not, it proceeds with 3)

3) Switch to the Default Behaviour.

Thanks for the reply.

Rowmote Pro also switches between behaviors for you automatically depending on which application is currently active. And I really enjoy, and depend on this feature, in RemoteBuddy, as I sometimes switch between using my iPad as a mouse and keyboard and using my Harmony remote. So I don't want behaviours to stay active until they are explicitly deactivated.

I thought that "default behaviour" was supposed to the be default behaviour when no specific behaviour was available for the active (in terms of "input focus") application. This seems most intuitive to me (before you explained it to me). I always have iTunes open (necessary to be able to start the music from the Apple Remote app) so the way it is now, I don't benefit from having a default behaviour.

However, I would like RemoteBuddy to: check the currently active application: if there's a behavior for it, it gets picked. If not, use default behaviour. Is that possible? If this is not possible in the current version of RB, then I add this feature to my wishlish :), as it will make the behaviour more predictable for me.

edit: 
I just found out about the priority feature today. This feature is actually a good way to solve the problem. It would just be nice if there was a list where I could just drag and drop the behaviors in the priority sequence I prefer. And it might also be nice for the user, if shockwave flash player, silverlight, etc had a native common "full screen web video" behavior (where play/pause was mapped as keyboard space, menu was mapped as keyboard escape, etc.). One of the cool things about having a mediacenter is the ability to watch all kinds of web videos in full screen on the TV, which are often not available on any SmarTV or media streamer.

As a work around, I just added a Finder behaviour and made the Google Chrome behaviour use the priority -1023. (apparently -1000 wasn't enough to beat iTunes, though I thought it used the lowest priority 1024. But can I change the priority for iTunes and rest of the native behaviors somewhere?)

Last edited: 26.11.2011 15:27:09 

Thread-display::