Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

06.02.2007 11:06:08
Bizarre Memory Issue
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hey Felix,

Say I wanted to tell you about something I found with the current version of Remote Buddy.

This all took place on my 17" MacBook Pro, 2.16Gb, 2gig ram, running 10.4.8

This evening I was creating a Quicktime movie of a PowerPoint presentation. I was capturing it using the latest version of iShowU.

What I was doing was playing the presentation, it is 50 mins with audio narration and then then clicking for iShowU to capture it using the Apple Intermediate Codec and saving it to an external firewire drive.

I am telling you all this so you know exactly what I was doing. Kepp in mind, I was not actively using Remote Buddy at this time, but since it starts up when I log in, it was running. Normally in the background it uses about 20mb of physical ram. But at some point during the above process, Remote Buddy's ram usage jumped up to over 500mb of physical ram, the virtual ram was well over a gig. I happened to notice this by pure accident as I was checking something else in the Activity Monitor.

So, the second time I performed the above, I decided this time to monitor what Remote Buddy did as far as memory usage. By the time the entire show had captured, Remote Buddy was up to using almost 700mb of physical ram.

Here is what I have been able to figure out and what I narrowed it down to. iShowU uses Soundflower to capture the audio out of the programs. When I had iShowU set to capturing the Mac system audio and also to preview it to me, hit record, start the show and this is when Remote Buddy's memory usage started going up. In just a quick minute test, Remote Buddy went from using between 17-20mb of ram to 46mb. After my test was done and I had closed both programs, the memory usage continued to increase. Currently it is at 54mb. So I am assuming the usage just kept increasing over the length of the show and the only way in the end to get Remote Buddy to release it is to close it and restart the RB.

I hope this helps and I will be curious to know what the cause is here. It is simple to deal with right now, I just shut down RB before doing this, but I just thought you might want to look into this. 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Apple® Remote
User

06.02.2007 14:26:01
Re: Bizarre Memory Issue
View

Hello Erick,

thanks for letting me know. I'll definately try to reproduce and then 
follow up on this.

Best regards, 
Felix 

User

06.02.2007 15:06:01
Re: Bizarre Memory Issue
View

Ok, so I've been trying to reproduce this, but didn't have any success.

I've installed iShowU, allowed it to install Soundflower, then 
recording something: no increase in memory consumption on Remote 
Buddy's side. 
I went on, restarted Remote Buddy, and started another recording: 
again, no increase in memory consumption.

Do you have any Input Manager's installed by any chance?

Could you copy and paste both the output of a click on "Analyze" in 
Activity Monitor when in the information window for Remote Buddy's 
process and the contents of "Opened files and ports" in the same window?

That should help to see, if any external code merged into Remote 
Buddy via the InputManager mechanism.

Remote Buddy should just idle on your system as long as you don't use 
it. Thus I don't see how it could consume any additional memory (and 
that much, too) while it is not used.

Best regards, 
Felix