Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

25.04.2007 18:48:12
external hardware control?
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
I have two other devices that must be turned on when I use my Mac Mini Home Theater: 
a) my 32" LCD TV 
b) my speaker amplifier

These two are always set to the same inputs, they only have to be turned on. I have a Harmony Remote that could be used for this, but I'm curious if it might be possible to use Remote Buddy and my Apple Remote and some "black box" to turn those other two on when the Mini is powered up or woken from sleep.

Maybe something like an IR blaster? Maybe a TV-B-Gone? (http://www.tvbgone.com).

Thoughts? 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Apple® Remote
User

26.04.2007 02:07:03
Re: external hardware control?
View

Hello Rob,

thanks for asking.

Right now Remote Buddy has no IR blaster support itself. The IRTrans 
+ iRed bundle in combination with some homebrew AppleScript sounds 
like what you are looking for, though. That hardware is - IMO - not 
really cheap, though.

Hope that helps.

Best regards, 
Felix 

User

27.04.2007 19:39:53
remote control paradigm shift
View

Felix, thanks for the tip on IRTrans. You're right, this solution isn't cheap, especially when it would be doing very little.

Some alternatives could be:

* ZephIR $50 USD, includes software and IR transceiver. This is a very old product however, and it's unclear how well it works in OS X. I even got an email back from the developer with example Applescript to tell it to output certain IR commands.

* LIRC cost varies, but this is a Linux thing. There's an OS X "port" but it's a hack: http://people.inf.ethz.ch/mringwal/lirc/ 
This would require a lot more work!

Some more thoughts about using Mini to control everything else:

1) Assuming such an IR blaster type gizmo worked well enough and could be "taught" the IR codes for the devices it should control... and assuming that this device had some usable software that ran in OS X... then it *could* be possible to use it with Remote Buddy.

2) This mystery application could be added to RB's list and a custom behavior could be created, such that you invoke it when you want to control those external devices as the TV and Amp.

3) The biggest downside to this approach that I can see is button count. The elegance and simplicity of the Apple Remote is in how few buttons there are. But (in most cases) I need *all* those buttons to control the app that's running.

4) Hence, to also control the volume of my amp, I would have to invoke RB, switch to the mystery IR program, activate that behavior, then click the plus or minus button. Not a big inconvenience, but that's the only way I can see to retain the buttons for multiple functions.

5) The alternative would be to change the global behaviors of two buttons for volume up and down to the mystery app. But then you lose two buttons!

Just thinking out loud... 

User

27.04.2007 22:19:50
Re: remote control paradigm shift
View

An update to the system volume control... I just read on 123MacMini forums (http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=52405#52405) that Remote Buddy does indeed control system digital volume out. I didn't realize this. Funny, I never tried it. I guess I just assumed it wouldn't do anything, much like volume adjustment doesn't work in Front Row with the optical output.

Is this true?

Last edited: 27.04.2007 22:20:48 

User

28.04.2007 14:44:01
Re: remote control paradigm shift
View

Thanks for sharing!

Two more possibilities:

1) Create your own Behaviours for custom uses such as emulating 
another remote with your Apple Remote.

2) Create your own actions for custom uses, that you then drag into a 
customized menu. Perfect for casual use.

Best regards, 
Felix 

User

28.04.2007 14:44:01
Re: Re: remote control paradigm shift
View

I don't have any digital audio hardware, so I can only repeat what 
I've learned from other Remote Buddy users, which is basically that 
the built-in volume sliders and actions for applications such as 
QuickTime Player, iTunes, DVD Player, EyeTV, ... do all change the 
volume of the digital audio out for the respective application.

Best regards, 
Felix 

User

02.10.2007 00:03:17
Re: external hardware control?
View

Looks like there's another RB user here that has had success <a href="http://www.iospirit.com/index.php?mode=view&obj_type=forum&obj_id=11&sid=4238625Gcd1de8b1abffe51f&o_forum_dmode=view&o_forum_submode=threaded&o_forum_forumentry_id=11614">using the ZephIR</a> hardware solution with RB to control external hardware.

This is great!