Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

25.05.2007 00:37:17
music browser - humble suggestions
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
I've already mentioned that I think it would make sense for movies and TV shows to have their only space at the top level of the music browser. Here are a few other things I noticed:

1) When the music browser displays the tracks of an album, or from all albums by one artist, it seems to put the tracks in alpabetical order. I'd personally prefer the display (and playback) to be in track order within an album; and in track order by album (with albums separated) within an artist.

2) When the music browser chooses an album of music to play, it adds the album's songs to a "Remote Buddy" playlist and then plays that playlist. But when it chooses a movie or TV show, it just plays it from the corresponding library. This means that a) if the visible playlist in iTunes is not that library, there can be control issues (stop instead of pause, etc.); and b) when the movie finishes the next movie will play (when I usually watch a movie, I like everything to stop when it's over). Why not be uniform here: add the movie or TV show to the "Remote Buddy" playlist just like with music. That way a user could make the playlist always visible, and their control over whatever's playing would always be normal.

As the title says - these are just humble suggestions to improve an already great app. Cheers! 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Behaviours - Support for iTunes® & AirPlay®
Hardware - Apple® Remote
User

29.05.2007 16:37:01
Re: music browser - humble suggestions
View

Thanks for your suggestions. A few quick comments:

1) Remote Buddy does sort albums by track number when inspecting a 
particular album, as far as they are available - and falls back to 
names otherwise. It uses alphabetical sorting when displaying all 
tracks of an artist as if you have like 50 albums and singles of one 
artist, it's much easier to find a particular track that way.

2) The Remote Buddy playlist is used to work around iTunes 
"features" ;-) .. the main library playlist may have a search 
attached on it, be sorted by a specific column, etc - a lot of 
conditions are possible that can lead to tracks being skipped or 
played in wrong order. Also, it may be diserable to loop a single 
album - which is not possible when using the complete library playlist.

Best regards, 
Felix 

User

30.05.2007 07:25:15
Re: music browser - humble suggestions
View

Ah yes, I'm aware of iTunes's funny control issues with the Library. In my own setup, I've come to use the same solution as you: I create a special playlist and populate it with whatever I want to listen to. I think it's the right thing to do in this circumstance; I'm just suggesting that the same technique be employed for movies and TV shows. 
User

01.06.2007 19:14:02
Re: Re: music browser - humble suggestions
View

Thanks for the clarification! I did misunderstand your original post 
then :-)