Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

22.06.2007 10:37:09
Sony BD Remote
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hi Felix,

Support for the Sony Remote turned out great - and the interface for editing the behaviors is very elegant, considering the amount of keys to be allocated with actions. 
Wake Up from sleep works fine. 
One issue I noticed: Wireless (mighty) mouse and (apple) keyboard performance considerably deteriorates after pairing my Mac with the remote. Workaround: Turn off mouse, wait 5 seconds, turn it on again. After automatically repairing, performance is nominal. Same workaround works for the keyboard.

A great release, especially considering it is the first! 
Thanks, 
Robbe

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - Sony® BD Remote Control
User

23.06.2007 14:11:01
Re: Sony BD Remote
View

Hi there,

first of all: sorry for not having gotten back to your mail, before. 
The suggestions you shared with me are actually very useful and will 
lead to further feature additions for the BD Remote with upcoming 
releases.

Regarding the mighty mouse and keyboard performance, I'll have to try 
out myself to analyze the problem (I only have a wireless keyboard 
for testing purposes, though).

How exactly does the problem materialize (especially with regards to 
the keyboard)?

Does it only happen after the initial pairing - or also later, when 
you just connect the remote by keeping the Enter + Start button pressed?

Thanks for all your input!

Best regards, 
Felix 

User

23.06.2007 19:29:36
Re: Sony BD Remote
View

Hi Felix,

the deterioration of bluetooth mouse and -keyboard performance only happened once, after the first original pairing process after starting the 1.05 version of RemoteBuddy for the first time. 
What do I mean by loss of mouse and keyboard performance? I know, it sound weired. Imagine sitting on a ANSI terminal, connected to a mainframe with 75 baud and a slow echo. That means that I can type faster than the Mac displays the text I enter. Momentarily, speed seems ok, then for a fraction of a second no keysstrokes seem to get to the Mac, and after another fraction of a second, the cache spills out a couple of letters in a small chunk. 
For the Mouse, the experience is similar, but can be best compared with mouse movements during a slow VNC connection. The pointer just seems to drag behind a little. 
However, this never happened again. Turning the Mouse and Keyboard off and on again helped. 
I believe that this is problem within Apples bluetooth framework, though, as I sometimes experienced the same phenomenon while transfering files from my mobile using bluetooth file exchange.

Regarding waking up from sleep using the remote, I have a suggestion. It seems as RemoteBuddy uses the button I press on the remote while the Mac sleeps to trigger an action as soon as it wakes up. That is a bit problematic, as I don't know which behaviour is currently active (well, sleeping), and so unexpected things start to happen. It would be nice to use the same behaviour as the Apple Wireless Keyboard and Mouse: Ignoring the first pressed button (or just using it to wake up).

The pairing between Mac and remote seems very stable, even after long sleeps. Only once I found my remote not connected to RemoteBuddy, but I cannot reproduce the situation. Clicking once on the red "Bluetooth Empfänger" entry in the RemoteBuddy menu (Mac menu bar) connected both again. With more experience I will be able to give more precise feedback.

Regards, 
Robert

Last edited: 23.06.2007 19:40:40 

User

24.06.2007 17:24:02
Re: Re: Sony BD Remote
View

Thanks for the extensive explaination. I too believe this is an issue 
with Apple's Bluetooth code and not Remote Buddy, as you mention the 
problem only appears after pairing the remote for the first time.

While the "inquiry" process to initially pair with a remote does 
definately have an effect on other BT software running on the Mac 
insofar as they can not run inquiries of their own at the same time 
or initiate connections during this time (not documented anywhere as 
far as I can recall - I just noticed this while writing the drivers), 
once the remote is paired with Remote Buddy, it's really just a plain 
Bluetooth connection and no special modes of operation (like 
inquiries or searching for known remotes) are entered anymore, so it 
should be in perfect harmony with all other connected devices.

I'll still try to reproduce, though.

Best regards, 
Felix