Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

01.07.2007 07:48:18
"Apple Remote" and "Keyspan Remote" hardware listed - but I only have a Keyspan Express remote
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hi!

First off, I must say that RemoteBuddy is absolutely brilliant! I love it's simplicity, abilities, and versatility. Thank you so much for developing it. I tried it for about 4 minutes and instantly fell in love with it - so I bought a copy.

Now for the issue at hand. I'm running a MDD dual G4 with 10.4. I recently purchased a Keyspan UIA-11F Express remote. Under Preferences->Hardware, it says my Default Receiver is a "Hotkey Remote" and lists my remote as BOTH an "Apple Remote" AND a "Keyspan Remote". If I have neither had an "Apple Remote" nor ever had the capability of using an Apple Remote with this computer, why does it show it as an option? Secondly, why does the Keyspan Remote's receiver show up as a "Hotkey Remote" with "12 Button States" when it, in fact, has no buttons at all? Under Preferences->Behaviours, I am likewise able to configure my nonexistent "Apple Remote" and the nonexistent "12 Button States" on my receiver. Does anybody know how to correct this?

I'm sorry if this is a duplicate post. I honestly searched around and couldn't find a respectable match.

Lastly, to be clear, everything else works perfectly well. My Keyspan Remote functions perfectly well and I'm able to configure it as needed. I'd just curious to know about the abovementioned concerns.

Thank you in advance for your time. 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Apple® Remote
User

01.07.2007 18:29:02
Re: "Apple Remote" and "Keyspan Remote" hardware listed - but I only have a Keyspan Express remote
View

Hi!

Thanks for asking.

The "Default receiver" is actually a virtual receiver that is the 
"default" for all remotes that do not have an actual receiver pendant 
in hardware. This is where the Hotkey Remote comes into play. The 
Hotkey Remote shows up on all systems and connects keyboard hotkeys 
to Remote Buddy actions. It can also be used to get limited support 
for Sony Ericcson mobiles or to connect the software of up to yet 
unsupported hardware (like the Griffin PowerMate) to Remote Buddy.

The receiver of your Keyspan bundle shows up as "Keyspan UIA-11" and 
exposes all remotes it supports for configuration. You don't actually 
have to own or use them for them to show up.

They could easily be made to only show up when a button on the 
respective remote is being pressed, but I considered this to be too 
confusing for most users as the receiver would not show up any 
remotes initially.

I hope that brings clarity.

Adding the ability to configure which remotes Remote Buddy should 
actually respond to (and then also show in the list) is on my to do 
list.

Best regards, 
Felix 

User

09.07.2007 08:06:46
Re: "Apple Remote" and "Keyspan Remote" hardware listed - but I only have a Keyspan Express remote
View

Felix,

Thank you very much for your time. Your response makes perfect sense. Thank you again for developing such a magnificent program!

User

11.07.2007 22:08:01
Re: Re: "Apple Remote" and "Keyspan Remote" hardware listed - but I only have a Keyspan Express remote
View

In reaction to your forum post, I've renamed the "Default Receiver" 
to "Virtual Receiver" as clearly, the old name was confusing. Thanks 
for pointing me to that fact.

Best regards, 
Felix