Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

02.08.2007 01:03:13
Frontrow not activating
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
I'm really enjoying the functionality provided by Remote Buddy, however I have a problem activating Front Row through RB menu via a Wiimote. I am using Remote Buddy 1.1 and (obviously) the kernel extension 1.4.5.

I can activate FR using cmd+esc. Doing this for the first time loads FR into memory and I can view the process running using Activity Monitor. Once in FR I can control the menu using the Wiimote and also exit etc. However, RB displays some interesting behaviour when I try to activate FR using the Wiimote (even after the process is running via cmd+esc).

When I select "Activate Behaviour" via the RB menu instead of fading out the menu (as with all other activation commands) it instead disappears instantly. If FR process has not been loaded before (straight after reboot) then it does not load into memory and I have to hit cmd+esc to bring FR up. If FR has been loaded previously using cmd+esc and is still resident then RB thinks that FR has been activated even though I do not see FR on my screen. I know this because I now need to hold Button B on the Wiimote for 2 seconds for the RB menu to appear. In the RB menu it has changed from "Activate Behaviour" to "Deactivate Behaviour". I can also not access FR using cmd+esc now. The only way to fix this is to quit Front Row via Activity Monitor.

So in short, I cannot access Front Row via RB using Wiimote. Every other behaviour and program works fine. I have applied Front Row update (1.3), reinstalled kernel extension but have had no luck. Has anyone else encountered this problem or have a solution?

Thanks for your time.

kim

UPDATE: OK I've had a chance to play around a bit more and I think I've fixed the problem. Since FR was not installed natively on my computer I added an instance of the key HIDRemoteControl to my Info.plist in AppleHIDMouse.kext to allow FR to be accessed via cmd+esc when RB extension is not loaded. See http://www.osxbook.com/book/bonus/misc/frontrow/ for more details on this. This also seemed to fix the issue above.

Last edited: 02.08.2007 13:45:24

Last edited: 02.08.2007 13:46:09 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Behaviours
Driver
Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - Wii™ Remote
User

02.08.2007 14:53:01
Re: Frontrow not activating
View

Hello Kim,

thanks for your question.

Just to be sure: are you by any chance running Leopard or the Apple TV 
"BackRow"?

If not, which system version and hardware do you use - and how did you 
install Front Row?

Do you use any kind of AppleScript or anything else than Cmd+Esc or 
Remote Buddy's menu to switch to Front Row?

(from experience, Front Row does not seem to like being launched by 
AppleScript or by any other, traditional launcher mechanism - Remote 
Buddy thus doesn't make use of any of these)

Best regards, 
Felix 

User

03.08.2007 05:51:19
Re: Frontrow not activating
View

Hi Felix. Thanks for the prompt reply. I have noticed that support from IOSpirit and for RB is very good. It's much appreciated by me and many other users!

I'm not using Leopard or Apple TV. I have an install of OSX 10.4.8. Since my system does not support Apple Remote natively Front Row was not installed. I installed it from the FR 1.3 update available on the Apple website.

I did some reading and it seems that FR looks for an instance of HIDRemoteControl key (set to true) in the Info.plist of one your active USB devices e.g. AppleHIDMouse.kext (for Mighty Mouse). This of course should be set in your IR kext if you have an Apple Remote or it will be set in the kext of some third party remote control solution (such as Keyspan one).

So FR wouldn't work until I installed the RB kernel extension. Does this add an instance of HIDRemoteControl? After installing RB I could access FR (the shortcut key appeared in the Keyboard & Mouse preferences panel, that's a good way of checking whether FR will work or not). But I had the problem I described earlier.

I modified the Info.plist file in my AppleHIDMouse.kext as described in the link I gave above and now FR seems to play nice with my Wiimote and RB.

Thanks again. I'm looking forward to future RB updates.

kim

Just to be sure: are you by any chance running Leopard or the Apple TV 
"BackRow"?

If not, which system version and hardware do you use - and how did you 
install Front Row?

Do you use any kind of AppleScript or anything else than Cmd+Esc or 
Remote Buddy's menu to switch to Front Row?

(from experience, Front Row does not seem to like being launched by 
AppleScript or by any other, traditional launcher mechanism - Remote 
Buddy thus doesn't make use of any of these)

Best regards, 
Felix