Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

26.08.2007 01:48:45
ZephIR Control and EyeTV
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hi Felix,

Thanks for a great piece of software. I also like the pricing for multiple licenses, I bought this for my 3 Macs.

A few observations / suggestions from my first few days of using the software.

1) I am using EyeTv with a ZephIR to control a satellite box. When I change channels using the Remote Buddy channel list the following happens. The screen goes blank for about one second and then the ZEPHIR sends the signal. This does not happen if I use EyeTV without Remote Buddy, there is no lag when EyeTV / ZEPHIR are used without Remote Buddy, not really a problem, just an observation. 
2) Is it possible to reduce the amount of pixels the virtual mouse moves for each click. For very small icons (setting the time in eyetv program schedule) the step movement is a little too big and the icon is sometimes difficult to click on. 
3) The ZEPHIR software works well and accurately learns IR codes. I would like to be able to turn on and off my TV and possibly control other IR functions using the WiiMote in conjunction with the ZEPHIR software. Do you know of any scripts or behaviors that have been written that will allow Remote Buddy to control the ZEPHIR IR blaster output?

I really would like help on the ZEPHIR scripts mentioed above in #3.

Thanks again for a great piece of software.

FMD

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - EyeTV Receiver
Hardware - Wii™ Remote
User

28.08.2007 10:45:01
Re: ZephIR Control and EyeTV
View

Hi FMD,

thanks for sharing your observations.

1) Remote Buddy uses AppleScript to change channels in EyeTV. 
Depending on your system, this might be an AppleScript performance 
issue.

2) Right now, the step can't be set, but I can add such an option for 
sure. (put it on the Todo list).

3) I don't know the Zephir software, but if it allows scripting, this 
should be really easy. You can then either use the "Custom actions" 
item in the Mapping tables - or use the Behaviour Construction Kit to 
create a Behaviour compiled of AppleScripts by yourself. I recommend 
the video in the developer section of this website for a quick intro 
on how Behaviours are constructed.

Best regards, 
Felix 

User

09.09.2007 11:28:51
View

Hi Felix,

Thanks for the reply.

With the scripting ability of the ZephIr software I now have remote buddy controlling all of my external components (TV on/off, Satellite, Amplifier etc).

Remote Buddy really is one great verstatile sofware package.

Thanks

FMD 

User

02.10.2007 00:01:11
View

With the scripting ability of the ZephIr software I now have remote buddy controlling all of my external components (TV on/off, Satellite, Amplifier etc).

FMD, this is fantastic news! With my growing frustration with my Logitech remote, I've been looking into the ZephIR solution to controlling my external hardware (speaker amp and TV) as well.

Thanks for posting your results. Would you be willing to help another user in the future? :) 

User

02.10.2007 18:20:11
ZephIR Control & power up?
View

FMD, I was thinking... how do you turn your TV back on, if you can't see the RB window?! Turning everything off after you're done using your media center is easy, but turning back on is another thing. That's one area where RB is quite reliant on a monitor to see what you're doing.

Would it be possible with Applescript to detect when the Mac is coming out of the sleep state (i.e., turning all equipment to the ON state)? If so, then I suppose you could automate turning the TV back on.

Does the ZephIR software have this sort of sensing built in?

If not, Griffin makes a free key automator app called Proxi: 
http://proxi.griffintechnology.com/

and it has a sleep monitor action built in. Perhaps with this, you could also monitor any keyboard / IR remote presses. Something like:

if (keyboard OR remote) 

if (waking from sleep) 

tell ZephIR turn on TV & amp 

User

04.10.2007 17:18:57
Re: ZephIR Control & power up?
View

iRob,

I am using one very basic Applescript to fire the Zephir, and have not tried any Macros yet. The Applescript / Zephir is very reliable and the IR output is very strong. 
One of the main issues with the Zephir is that it takes time to learn IR codes, it is not as simple as a Logitech. 
In answer to you question on powering on the screen, I am using the Wii remote with one dedicated button for powering on the TV.

FMD 

User

04.10.2007 17:51:25
View

FMD, where did you buy your ZephIR? How long ago was it? Their store seems to be down and no one from the company is replying to emails. :( 
User

04.10.2007 18:01:39
View

I was also trying to buy another zephir, I was told that the store is down as they currently have no stock. It will be about 3 weeks before they have stock again.

FMD 

User

05.10.2007 11:13:05
View

Right now, I wouldn't know a way to execute an AppleScript on sleep / 
wake, sorry.

Best regards, 
Felix