Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

21.09.2007 08:13:16
Various questions, compliments and humble suggestions...
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hi, count me as another HUGE fan of Remote Buddy. I have been looking for a product that would simply allow me to display a "Now Playing" window with artwork to show what is playing in iTunes and had nearly given up on remote control ability. Anyhow, I purchased RB primarily because of the iPhone functionality but have discovered enough uses for it to dust off my Apple remote. Anyhow, here are some questions that I could not find answers to in the forums or online help: 
1. I love the ability to change to CoverFlow in iTunes and have the ability to scroll through albums, change songs etc. However, I would like to be able to access the RB menu without going OUT of CoverFlow mode. I can't find a behaviour for CoverFlow and thus don't see any way to modify this. 
2. Hide Menu: I saw a thread on the forums here regarding hiding the menu immediately after an action is performed - but I couldn't decipher whether there was a solution or not. In that thread where you had mentioned that The "Hide menu" item in fact is the same item as "Activate Behaviour" and "Deactivate Behaviour" so I thought perhaps adding behaviour action in a customized action to Activate iTunes Behaviour may do it but that didn't work. Neither did various combinations of activating/deactivating other behaviours. Activating Expose Behaviour seemed to partially work; it did hide the RB menu but then I was not able to deactivate Expose / activate iTunes without using the remote. If there is an easy - or even a difficult - way to do this, it would be very helpful. 
Suggestions, humble: 
A. Button sizes in Now Playing - Ajax Remote. I think I saw this mentioned elsewhere in the forums but the buttons are very small on the iPhone (or perhaps my fingers are too fat). I ended up modifying the .png files for previous, next and playpause - making them about twice the size and it made a huge difference. 
B. On a related note (and I realize this may be out of the realm of RB's intended purpose) - I also temporarily changed the display size of the album artwork so it would display better in browser window on a pc/Mac. I have to say, it looked fantastic - but of course it screwed up the iPhone display. There are other products that have this functionality - but I haven't found any that function as well as RB - so it would be cool if there were different display modes for iPhone and full size screens. Even cooler if it worked automatically. I tried to modify the code to do this....but I don't have the skills ;-) 
C. Again I think I saw this mentioned elsewhere - but I am curious if there is any plans to make any changes to the Now Playing window that will allow you to perform other actions without having to change to another menu? Since is the screen that is active almost all the time for me, it takes several steps to perform any other iTunes functions and then return to the Now Playing screen. 
D. I added some "Actions" to perform some of the functions that I use often in iTunes. They were all pretty easy to do and I love that RB lets you create add and remove menu items. I thought you might want to consider adding them to future versions. Also, they may help explain exactly what I am trying to do ;-). These are all added to my iTunes menu: 
- Current Song: Displays current album/song. (this is one of the places where I wish the menu would hide automatically). 
- "Jump To (A,D,M,R,Z)" - I have a large collection (35K+ songs), so it can be tedious to find an album / artist I am looking for. This just jumps to various letters in the alphabet and I can easily scroll to what I am looking for from there. 
- Next Album: Since I like to listen to a lot of Albums as opposed to individual songs it makes it easy to skip over an entire album. 
- Search: I am playing with this right now but it doesn't seem to be working. I have an action with 2 steps: 1. Go to the search window (can't recall the keystroke combination but this works fine. 2. Behaviour Action: Show/Hide Virtual Keyboard. (that doesn't seem to be working - but I just started messing with it). 
- Hide Cursor: I installed Cursorcerer which lets you hide the cursor automatically after a set period of time. It also lets you do so with a keystroke, so I added that to a lot of the behaviour actions. 
...if anyone is wondering, yes I know that Front Row can do a lot of what I am trying to do and that's what I used before they added CoverFlow to iTunes. Since I use my HTPC primarily for music, I prefer iTunes to FR for a lot of reasons. Anyhow, I will quit babbling for now and go back to fiddling with RB. Thanks again for a very cool product and keep up the good work!

eTip

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Behaviours
Behaviours - Support for iTunes® & AirPlay®
Configuration
Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - iPhone™ / iPod® touch / AJAX Remote
User

21.09.2007 16:26:01
Re: Various questions, compliments and humble suggestions...
View

Hello Eric,

thanks for your extensive feedback.

Regarding 1) 
The CF fullscreen mode of iTunes is using OpenGL and will not allow 
any other window to appear on top of it. Thus, in order to view the 
Remote Buddy menu, quitting the CF fullscreen mode is absolutely 
necessary.

Regarding 2) 
You'll see changes regarding the "hide menu when choosing an action 
through the menu" topic in the next release. I'm not sure, if I 
understood what you want to achieve in the rest of this point, though. 
Please elaborate a bit more, if it's more than the "hide menu when 
choosing an action through the menu" ability.

Regarding A)-D) 
I like all of your suggestions. Some, however, will be impossible to 
implement because of a lack of functionality in the iPhone's web 
browser. It's really a shame that Apple decided to not allow third 
parties to heavily innovate on the iPhone platform. Yet, still, a lot 
of development is happening right now regarding the AJAX Remote. The 
next version will present dramatic improvements all over the place.

The virtual keyboard show/hide action issue is known and already fixed 
in the private build.

Best regards, 
Felix 

User

30.09.2007 19:08:54
Re: Various questions, compliments and humble suggestions...
View

Hi all,

I'm following up on this thread as I think it is not worth starting a new one. I've been using RB for quite some time now, loved it since the beginning and especially appreciated the dynamism of the development (regular, worthy updates). 
That being said, I'd like to add my $0.02 with another round of humble suggestions for AJAX RB (tested on IPhone).

First, some comments and suggestions about the ITunes-related functions. 
As Eric mentioned it, I also find playback buttons on the "now playing" screen difficult to manipulate. A possibility could be to simply grab more screen space by "getting rid" of Safari's address bar. They do it in Signal, not sure how though (seems like the AJAX page is scrolled down, the address bar is still there, just "hidden"). 
In fact, I really like the way the guys from Signal mimic the IPhone/ITouch native interface, especially the now playing screen. Having volume controls (and rating) in "poping" menus is convenient and space-efficient. With RB's current "now playing" screen, I do not have access to volume control directly and have to switch to "remote mode", and even activate itunes behavior if it isn't already. 
To sum up my "wish list" :) : 
- bigger control buttons 
- volume control 
- some kind of "poping menu" to hide/show volume and rating control? 
- and... as developed thereafter, the possibility of switching directly to the music browser

Is there a rationale behind having separate items for "Music" and "Now playing"? Both are ITunes-related, and I personally would love being able to go back and forth: 
- consider "now playing" as the ultimate item in the hierarchical menu. 
- being able to switch to "now playing" from the music browser (one big button ?) 
- switching directly to "now playing" when selecting a song 
- from "now playing", having a back button to access the music browser

Concerning the music browser itself, here are my unworthy remarks: 
- I love the "letter splitting", actually more efficient than a search functionality 
- I'd love to be able queue songs in some playlist, instead of playing them directly (some kind of "+" button in front of artists, albums and songs names?) 
- the back "<" and forward ">" items appearing aside each category/artist/album/song are, for me, redundant. When I think about it, the forward button does the same as clicking on the item. For the back button, only one is needed as it is a tree structure. For me, the perfect solution would be to have a HUGE back button at the top (e.g., in the light gray title bar). Ideally, you could add another huge button to reach directly the "now playing" screen, of course ;). I realize your rationale behind those duplicated buttons is probably related to scrolling, but I personally would not mind quickly scrolling to the top of the page to reach those shortcuts. 
- I experienced slight performance issues when browsing especially large list (like my entire album collection, as a stress test), but nothing alarming given the technical constraints. I did not dare trying with my whole track listing...

I love the trackpad mode, really handy for presentations. No particular suggestion there.

Concerning the remote control mode, I guess that "emulating" hold functions must have given you some headaches. Duplicating the buttons seems like a good solution, but it somewhat clutters the interface. My main "problem" comes from not having the "click" ones on the periphery. I personally use them more than hold ones, maybe it's just me. Also, slightly bigger buttons would be more comfortable. A shortcut/button displaying the current behavior and allowing to switch it could be great too. There is some vertical screen space to be taken (again, the address bar), but I admit I have not found the ultimate layout yet... I realize it's a tricky problem and that you visibly already gave it a lot of thought. I'll let you know if I have any proposal.

Again, thanks for the amazing work towards making RB (and now, my IPhone) the ultimate companion of my computer. All the updates/surprises I had in the past year are way more than worth my initial investment. I'm really looking forward to the next steps!

Best regards, 
-- 
David

User

05.10.2007 10:57:08
Re: Re: Various questions, compliments and humble suggestions...
View

Thanks for your feedback.

The great majority of your points has been addressed with yesterday's 
release of version 1.7.

Best regards, 
Felix