Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

02.01.2008 13:33:47
Universal/learning remote and >6 buttons
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hello,

I have an Intel Mac Mini with an EyeTV Hybrid - I'd like to replace the Apple (and EyeTV) remote functions with the single learning remote I use for my TV/stereo/etc.

The learning remote can learn the Apple Remote buttons as I press them, but that only gives me the 6 buttons physically on the Apple remote. Would a second Apple remote be discernible as another 6 buttons? (a la the RB multiple remote support)? Alternately are the "held" versions of the button presses separate (learnable) codes?

I want to avoid using the EyeTV remote as I'd like to tuck the EyeTV device out the back of the shelf, it's ugly to have it and the antenna and USB cables hanging out the front of the Mac (the EyeTV IR receiver really should be on its own cable).

Any suggestions?

Thanks, 
Ben

Last edited: 02.01.2008 13:37:11 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - EyeTV Receiver
User

03.01.2008 21:15:00
Re: Universal/learning remote and >6 buttons
View

Yes, I am doing exactly what you're talking about, and using only one Apple Remote to do it. If you hold the Menu and Play buttons on the Apple Remote for several seconds, the remote will change its ID number, making it appear to be a new remote. In Remote Buddy's preferences, under Hardware, if enable multiple Apple Remotes, any time you press a button on your Apple Remote, Remote Buddy will register the remote under its distinct ID.

I've programmed my Logitech Harmony 550 with the Apple Remote using several different Apple Remote ID numbers, naming each device in the Harmony software something indicative of which Harmony buttons I want the Apple Remote ID to correspond to (playback 1, playback 2, channels, navigation, macros 1, macros 2, etc.). Each time I have the Harmony learn a new Apple Remote ID, I also point the Apple Remote at the Mac to have Remote Buddy learn the ID at the same time. Then I create and name virtual Apple Remotes within Remote Buddy to match the ones on the Harmony remote and match the virtuals to their proper IDs. Finally, at present, I'm working up several Harmony activity configurations, each of which maps several Apple Remotes to different sets of keys on the Harmony, and several Remote Buddy mappings to have the respective virtual Apple Remotes perform their proper actions in each application.

It is an astoundingly arduous process, but it's relatively straightforward, and it will allow me to use a very robust remote to control my Mac mini, TV, and audio receiver, without a silly-looking IR receiver hanging off the mini.

Felix, I would absolutely love to package up this configuration, once I have it polished, so that others don't have to go through this laborious process. Of course, I would also need to be able to replicate and distribute my Harmony configuration, which might not be possible, but can I at least bundle up the virtual Apple Remotes and their respective mappings in Remote Buddy to distribute to other users? 

User

07.01.2008 18:27:02
Re: Re: Universal/learning remote and >6 buttons
View

I couldn't have given a better answer myself :-)

You sure can do package up and distribute your configuration. All 
remote mappings are stored in the files matching

~/Library/Preferences/com.iospirit.com.apple.*.plist

Best regards, 
Felix 

User

13.01.2008 11:23:11
View

Hi Clayton.

I have a 525 harmony remote... if you can share your configuration is a really good thing!

thanks 

User

30.01.2008 00:37:54
View

Clayton,

I have a logitech 550, mini, and eyeTV 250 as well. I'd love to get a copy of your setup. 

User

05.02.2008 13:57:23
View

Yes, I am doing exactly what you're talking about, and using only one Apple Remote to do it. If you hold the Menu and Play buttons on the Apple Remote for several seconds, the remote will change its ID number, making it appear to be a new remote. In Remote Buddy's preferences, under Hardware, if enable multiple Apple Remotes, any time you press a button on your Apple Remote, Remote Buddy will register the remote under its distinct ID.

I've programmed my Logitech Harmony 550 with the Apple Remote using several different Apple Remote ID numbers, naming each device in the Harmony software something indicative of which Harmony buttons I want the Apple Remote ID to correspond to (playback 1, playback 2, channels, navigation, macros 1, macros 2, etc.). Each time I have the Harmony learn a new Apple Remote ID, I also point the Apple Remote at the Mac to have Remote Buddy learn the ID at the same time. Then I create and name virtual Apple Remotes within Remote Buddy to match the ones on the Harmony remote and match the virtuals to their proper IDs. Finally, at present, I'm working up several Harmony activity configurations, each of which maps several Apple Remotes to different sets of keys on the Harmony, and several Remote Buddy mappings to have the respective virtual Apple Remotes perform their proper actions in each application.

It is an astoundingly arduous process, but it's relatively straightforward, and it will allow me to use a very robust remote to control my Mac mini, TV, and audio receiver, without a silly-looking IR receiver hanging off the mini.

Felix, I would absolutely love to package up this configuration, once I have it polished, so that others don't have to go through this laborious process. Of course, I would also need to be able to replicate and distribute my Harmony configuration, which might not be possible, but can I at least bundle up the virtual Apple Remotes and their respective mappings in Remote Buddy to distribute to other users?

Please share your setup Clayton!

I would really like to use more than 6 buttons on my iMac with Remote Buddy.

You can mail them to me if you like: 
wutang@email.dk

Thanks! 
Martin 

User

18.07.2009 18:48:37
View

I would love this configuration as well! You can email it to me at JustinCPearce at gmail dot com