Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

14.10.2009 00:53:38
Just installed RemoteBuddy on 10.6.1 and have Apple Remote - nothing happens
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
I've just installed RemoteBuddy on 10.6.1 using my Apple IR remote on a 2009 Mac Mini - installed the RemoteBuddy driver.

With RemoteBuddy active and loaded, nothing happens using the remote with any app. It is as if the remote is deactivated. Pressing once on "Menu" does not bring anything up at all. The RemoteBuddy menu (when RemoteBuddy is active app, click on "RemoteBuddy" in System Menu), it shows Apple IR (green dot), and a "De-Activate" Apple Remote - also with a green dot. So it seems to be functioning.

"Preferences/Hardware" shows I'm paired with the remote, and gives the ID of the remote.

The remote worked immediately before installing RemoteBuddy - now it seems it isn't functioning at all - whether RemoteBuddy is running or not. 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Driver
Hardware - Apple® Remote
User

14.10.2009 10:36:46
Re: Just installed RemoteBuddy on 10.6.1 and have Apple Remote - nothing happens
View

Thanks for asking.

Do you own more than one Apple Remote? If yes, chances are that you 
have paired a different Apple Remote with your Mac than the remote 
you're currently using.

To exclude this possibility, please unpair your remote and, if that 
doesn't solve the problem perform a reboot and also go through 
FAQ015E0222 "Remote Buddy does no longer react to button presses on 
the remote.", which lists further error sources like f.ex. a disabled 
infrared receiver in System Preferences > Security, which could also 
be the cause for the problem at hand.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

14.10.2009 15:00:03
Re: Just installed RemoteBuddy on 10.6.1 and have Apple Remote - nothing happens
View

Thank you for the suggestion - but please give me some credit. Only one remote paired to this machine since it was bought, and the remote worked fine prior to installing RemoteBuddy. I haven't removed RemoteBuddy or the RB driver yet to see if operation returns to normal.

I've checked everything in the FAQ you mentioned, the only option I haven't tried is to unpair and repair the remote to the machine. I also have not tried removing RB and driver (as mentioned), and re-installing it. 

User

15.10.2009 14:33:33
View

Finally got it working.

Removing the driver, and uninstalling RB did not restore functionality of the remote. I had to perform an "archive and install" (I guess the automatic feature of SL now), which restored the remote (didn't have to unpair/re-pair, was fine after re-install). Installed RB again, and now it seems to be working properly. 

User

16.10.2009 13:56:46
Re: Re: Just installed RemoteBuddy on 10.6.1 and have Apple Remote - nothing happens
View

Thanks for the info.

Remote Buddy itself would never require you to perform anything like 
an archive/install of the OS. Since it doesn't modify any part of the 
OS, it can't have any effect beyond its removal.

Out of interest: 
Did you previously modify or remove any system files in an attempt to 
fix the Apple Remote issue in Snow Leopard? 
(I saw guides being posted in a few Mac forums that suggested users to 
do just that - and it'll do more harm than good)

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

16.10.2009 14:44:01
View

No, I hadn't modified the files - yet. I had run across the same (or similar) info in the Plex forum, but before going to that extreme decided to try RB instead.

Right now, seems to be working fine. Trying to go through and learn the ups and downs, etc. of how to use it most effectively.

One thing I've noticed - the documentation is complete, but somehow doesn't "connect". For example, I believe I've figured out how to create my own custom menu (create a profile, use one of the existing built-ins to populate it, then modify/remove items from it). The documentation covers the mechanics, but doesn't describe it as "build your own custom menu". You kind of slide into it by deduction of the profiles and items. I didn't seem to find any FAQ that directly covered that topic ("How to create your own menu of applications"), but figured it out. This seems to be one of the first things most people will want to do (I don't run or care to run most of the apps on the default menus via RB), so after getting it working - you'd want to customize that menu.

I'm going to play with this over the next few days, but I believe RB is definitely a "keeper". Which brings up a question about licensing. I see by purchasing a license I get all version 1.x updates within that purchase. Are you anywhere near to releasing 2.x? I'd hate to buy a license, and find out a month later that the next version "was almost there".