Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

16.10.2009 16:56:38
Plex, Apple Remote, Ehome reciever - Up & Down navigation doesn't work.
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
So a little confused here. The up and down (+ -) buttons work everywhere else while using RB. Plex just doesn't. I hit the + button 10 times or so and it will move once, same with the -. It feels like the signal is getting stopped somewhere before it can get to plex. The left, right, menu, and play buttons work perfectly. I haven't purchased RB yet, was planning on it but this problem is a show-stopper. I used Mira before this and it worked very well but didn't have the same polish and functionality as RB.

What I have tried: Reinstalled RB (complete wipe, driver and prefs). Made sure Mira was completely uninstalled as well before I even tried RB. Reinstalled Plex, changed remote options from Standard Apple Remote to Universal and Harmony and tinkiered with all the settings.

If anyone has had this problem and solved it please let me know. Really would like to use this product. :). 
Thanks!

System: Mac Mini Intel, 10.5.7. c2D, 2 gb ram. 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Driver
General
Hardware
Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - Harmony® Smart Control
Hardware - eHome 2005
User

21.10.2009 22:12:24
Re: Plex, Apple Remote, Ehome reciever - Up & Down navigation doesn't work.
View

UPDATE on my situation: I grabbed a Griffin Airclick remote from Ebay. Installed everything and guess what, Plex still does not go up or down... messed up. 
User

23.10.2009 17:34:11
View

Thanks for asking.

This sounds like a configuration issue. Can you send me screenshots of 
RB Prefs > Mapping > Global Mapping and .. > Mapping > Plex (to info@iospirit.com 
)?

When deleting Remote Buddy's prefs file(s), did you quit Remote Buddy 
before doing so?

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

29.10.2009 23:37:03
View

I am suddenly having the same problem after updating to Plex 0.8.3 and Remote Buddy 1.15.1. My Plus, Minus, and Menu buttons appear to be affected.

If I press and hold the button, it will register. If I just press it, it won't.

It works fine without RemoteBuddy, so I'm not sure what the issue is.

I'm using the Harmony profile in Plex. In RemoteBuddy, I've got 8 virtual remotes set up for Plex. Under global mappings, they all point to the appropriate virtual remote buttons.

This same configuration has been working for about a year for me, so it's something in the latest Remote Buddy driver, I think.

I'm on a Mac mini with MacOS X 10.6.1.

-j 

User

30.10.2009 00:02:28
View

Ok, sorry, Menu does in fact work -- it just didn't register quickly and I thought it was affected too.

It seems that Up and Down on Virtual Remotes is what's broken. On a physical remote, they both work. It also works in Plex just fine if I quit Remote Buddy, so it's not likely an issue with my Harmony setup.

-j 

User

04.11.2009 19:28:27
Re: Re: Plex, Apple Remote, Ehome reciever - Up & Down navigation doesn't work.
View

From what I know at this point, there appears to be a general issue 
with Apple Remote control support in Plex 0.8.3.

Using the dedicated Plex Behaviour to control Plex instead of the 
Virtual Remote should work, though.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

29.11.2009 08:46:02
View

Using the dedicated Plex Behaviour to control Plex instead of the 
Virtual Remote should work, though.

I'm seeing this same issue in plex 0.8.5. - Ajax (iphone) remote works fine, but apple remote does not. Can you please explain what you mean here - using dedicated plex behavior vs virtual remote? 
User

07.12.2009 10:56:41
View

Remote Buddy has a Behaviour dedicated just to Plex. Using the actions supplied by this Behaviour will work.

Compared to that, the virtual remote actions emulate Apple Remote button presses and Plex interprets them itself.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

13.12.2009 23:34:27
View

Hi Felix,

I am using the plex behavior (via apple remote) to start plex (activate plex behavior). However, I'm having issues the issues described in this thread using the +/- buttons. Is there someting I should be doing differently for the +/- to work? (Again, note that I can navigate just fine with the ajax remote on iphone or arrow keys on a keyboard.) 

User

16.12.2009 16:20:41
View

Please take a look at Prefs > Mapping > Plex and make sure that for the Plus/Minus (or Up/Down) buttons (including their hold states), there really only are the respective "Navigation: " actions.

If you modify the Global Mapping at Prefs > Mapping > Global Mapping, like f.ex. map the Menu button (or its hold state) to launch Plex, this will - as is being warned right there - hardwire the respective button to that action and make it unavailable to other applications.

For apps like Plex, this also means that the "Open Remote Buddy menu" action - which is by default mapped to "Menu (held)" - will automatically be relocated to another button code, which can trigger more automatic rearrangements of actions, which in turn can lead to the result you describe. The purpose of this is to ensure that you don't lock yourself out of access to Remote Buddy's menu. If you really, really want to lock yourself out of Remote Buddy's menu, you can, of course manually adjust the Plex Behaviour mapping at Prefs > Mapping > Plex to achieve just that.

For the Apple Remote, it's best to leave the Global Mapping table at its defaults. It just has too few buttons as that you could afford dedicating one to exclusively execute a single action. That'd also limit or end your ability to correctly control applications like Plex, which require the use of all buttons for navigation.

If what you really want is to launch Plex with a press of the Menu button when no other controllable software is currently active, the right place to make that change is at Prefs > Behaviour > Default Behaviour. The Default Behaviour is used when no controllable application is active.

Hope that helps.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz