Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

28.10.2009 20:31:05
Help! Oversensitive Harmony Buttons!
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
I'm using Remote Buddy 1.15.1 with a Harmony 880 remote acting like 8 virtual Apple Remotes a la this post:

http://funwithcomputers.wordpress.com/2008/03/01/using-the-harmony-880-remote-with-your-macs-built-in-ir-port/#comments

My problem is that certain keypresses (specifically RIGHT, DOWN and SELECT (OK), are extremely oversensitive, i have to be exceedingly careful with my button presses or else multiple events are sent.

I have taken the following steps to attempt to alleviate the problem:

- From within the Harmony Remote setup software, I have decreased the retransmit frequency as much as is allowable.

- From within Remote Buddy I have set up custom behaviors for the direction buttons and SELECT, being careful to select "Single keypress between button press & release" WITHOUT auto-repeat.

These have reduced the problem somewhat, but the remote is still unusable (a pressing DOWN, for example, now gets interpreted as 3 keypresses instead of 15 or so).

Is there a way to set up a custom behavior which does something like "Single keypress and then ignore all additional signals for <n> period of time (like, say, 0.4 seconds)?" I have tried building in delays or useless additional actions as padding, but none of it matters, Remote Buddy simply stacks the requests and executes them all serially. I really need some way to have RB actively ignore multiple requests.

Thanks for any assistance!

EDIT: I am seeing this problem with XBMC, BOXEE and PLEX.

Last edited: 28.10.2009 20:33:18 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Configuration
Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - Harmony® Smart Control
User

04.11.2009 19:24:37
Re: Help! Oversensitive Harmony Buttons!
View

Thanks for asking.

This is a known issue of Harmony remotes. Sometimes, they only 
insufficiently learn Apple Remote codes. Instead of sending the 
correct IR sequences

[PRESS .... STILL_PRESSED .... STILL_PRESSED ....]

for a single button press, they're sending multiple presses:

[PRESS] [PRESS] [PRESS] [PRESS] ..

There's nothing Remote Buddy can do about this. It reacts to the 
signals as it receives them.

The only solution available is to retrain your Harmony until it 
recognizes and subsequently emulates the Apple Remote code correctly.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

05.11.2009 08:15:21
Re: Help! Oversensitive Harmony Buttons!
View

Thanks for the response, Felix. Weirdly, I think I have actually found the solution to the problem.

Based off your response, I decided to try re-training my remote, being careful to hold the button on the apple remote down for as little time as possible (so the remote wouldn't have a chance to register more than one key-press). After doing this, and being extremely careful to barely tap the button, the problem actually got WORSE.

This gave me an idea, so I went back and re-did the IR learning, but instead of holding the button down as briefly as possible, I went the opposite direction, and held each button-press for a quarter second. Et viola, it worked! Now the remote works exactly as it should.