Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

13.11.2009 12:07:55
Apple remote response very slow after install the driver
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hi 
I really need help. The program causes me a lot of trouble on my apple remote. I installed the Plex, then it suggested me to install Candelair 1.0.2 driver.

1. After installed the driver, my remote responded very slow. (for all of the buttons, 1 out of 20 clicks might work.) 
2. Then I installed Remote Buddy. It was still the same in every program, even though I played with the map. 
3. I uninstalled the Remote buddy and the driver, it was still very slow. 
4. I upgraded my system from 10.6.1 to 10.6.2, it was still slow. 
5. I installed the driver again. It was the same.

My system is Macbook pro. I got the remote less than two weeks. I have checked that the IR signal is fine by using apple online support suggestion. I think that it was the driver messing up with my system.

Can you please help me? I really need the remote to do some speeches at the end of this month. Thanks a lot. 
Zk

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Driver
Hardware - Apple® Remote
User

13.11.2009 18:08:11
Re: Apple remote response very slow after install the driver
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Thanks for asking.

Neither Remote Buddy, nor its driver, nor Candelair have the ability to "mess up your system". They do NOT modify your system. In fact NOT modifying ANY system files at all is the main reason to supply a complete driver of our own. NO files are modified, NO patches, hacks or undocumented APIs are used.

The way the HID system works - its driver structure is fully dynamic - a driver has NO way to have ANY effect (including event runtimes or dropping events) when it is not loaded and executed. There are no settings in the OS either, that could have any such effect.

With regards to the IR Receiver and the Apple Remote HID events, there are only two possible scenarios:

1) If the RB/Candelair driver is installed, it handles the raw input coming from the IR Receiver and turns it into HID events. 
2) If the RB/Candelair driver is not installed (which is identical to: "has been uninstalled"), the stock OS X driver handles the raw input coming from the IR Receiver and turns in into HID events.

If you uninstalled the driver and rebooted, you are in scenario 2). You're back to exactly the same system as prior to installing the driver. And as a matter of fact, a driver that isn't installed and loaded simply can't have any effect on your system. Code that doesn't exist anymore, can't run anymore.

Ok, now that this is clarified: back to solving your problem. You say that "1 out of 20 clicks might work". That means that 19 out of 20 button presses are simply lost. And since you see this regardless of whether you use the RB/Candelair driver or the Apple OS X driver, a purely physical problem is highly likely.

A few possible error sources that spring to mind:

- the distance between your remote and the receiver in your Mac is too high. Solution: decrease the distance.

- the angle between your remote and the receiver in your Mac is too high. Solution: decrease the angle.

- there is no direct line of sight between your remote and the receiver in your Mac. Solution: ensure there is a direct line of sight.

- the remote's battery level is low (yes, experience has shown that even new remotes sometimes ship with almost-empty batteries). Solution: exchange the battery for a new one.

- your Mac's IR Receiver is exposed to direct or reflected (sun)light, which can interfere the remote's IR signal and make it physically impossible for the IR Receiver to properly receive and decode the remote's IR signal. Solution: relocate your Mac, close open windows, shutters, (re)move mirrors, ..

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz