Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

15.11.2009 19:01:01
Candelair conflicting with Kodak easyshare 5100 printer
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
After installing the Candelair driver to fix the remote issue with Plex, I could not use my Kodak Easyshare 5100 printer. My printer would show an error, "printer not responding" or "Can't connect to printer." I updated to the most recent software from Kodak, but no luck. After uninstalling the Candelair driver, the printer worked fine. Any solutions or why this is happening? 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Driver
Hardware - Apple® Remote
User

16.11.2009 08:13:46
Re: Candelair conflicting with Kodak easyshare 5100 printer
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Dear Scott,

thanks for asking.

I can assure you that Candelair has no chance to have this effect. Inside Candelair's bundle is an Info.plist file which precisely defines for which hardware the driver is to be used. You can find it at /System/Library/Extensions/RBIOKitHelper.kext/Contents/Info.plist.

If a device is not in that list, Candelair is not used for it. And this list of USB devices does not include any Kodak hardware.

You can also verify that Candelair is definitely not used for your printer by launching System Profiler.app, selecting "Logs" and then "ioreg_sp.txt", which is a complete representation of all device drivers and how their are used - at that very moment - on your system. You'll see that for the "IR Receiver", the Candelair driver is used and that, for your printer, the regular OS X/Kodak drivers are used, but *not* Candelair.

Since Candelair has no contact to your printer or printer software at all, it simply can't have any influence on it, either. So, sorry, but Candelair is not the cause of your issue.

I may still be able to help you. Other error sources that spring to mind and fit your description:

1) a copy of VMWare/Parallels running with their "auto-attach newly connected USB hardware" option enabled. Solution: turn of the option and detach the printer from the virtual machine.

2) your USB printer is not detected due to a common Mac USB problem. If your printer doesn't turn up in System Profiler.app > Hardware > USB despite it being connected and turned on, reset the SMC (System Management Controller) of your Mac. Search Apple's support site for instructions for your Mac model. You'll find the suggestion to reset the SMC and a list of other instructions in Apple's long support article covering solutions to Mac USB problems.

Why do these fit your description?

1) when uninstalling Candelair, you're requested to reboot. A reboot will quit any instance of VMWare/Parallels and unless you have set them to launch and start a virtual machine right after login, they will no longer "rob" access to USB devices from OS X.

2) when uninstalling Candelair, you're requested to reboot. The SMC issue affects devices that are attached during boot. If you happened to have turned off the printer during the reboot and turned it on again after boot, you worked around the SMC issue.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz