Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

30.11.2009 02:37:49
Complete Uninstall and start over with default settings
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
I have been messing around in the trial version and I have sufficiently messed things up. I need to uninstall and start all over. I followed directions from FAQ and removed files in Library... and deleted the application. I even did a Finder search for anything with "iospirit" or "remote" or "buddy" on my system. After deleting all files and re-installing, Remote Buddy was exactly as I had left it, still messed up. It even still had all of the remotes that I had mapped.

Messing with adding behaviors, I ended up with two EyeTV's (which I cannot seem to get rid of). Also, after changing the mapping for several apple remotes, I ended up messing up the navigation within the Remote Buddy menu (ie up, down, left, right) no longer navigate correctly. I guess I should not have messed with the Global defaults. Bottom line is that I got EyeTV working quite nicely, but now none of the Remote Buddy Menu navigation works.

How can I get truly back to where I started when I originally installed the application? Is this a limitation of the trial version? I am happy to purchase as I have seen enough to know that it should work for my purposes if I don't mess it up due to user error.

Please help.... 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

General
Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - EyeTV Receiver
User

30.11.2009 04:05:52
Re: Complete Uninstall and start over with default settings
View

Still trying... Upon further tinkering, it appears that all that is really messed up is the Buddy Menu Navigation. Is this what uses the "virtual remote"? How can I get this back to navigating correctly? How does Remote Buddy know to use the virtual remote assignments while in the Remote Buddy Menu rather than the assignments that I used for the custom mapping in EyeTV? I used custom mapping to get my Harmony 900 remote to emulate multiple apple remotes for EyeTV. All of that works like a charm (in EyeTV), but now the Remote Buddy navigation is broken. 
User

30.11.2009 08:34:32
Re: Re: Complete Uninstall and start over with default settings
View

Resetting everything to defaults is easy:

1) Quit Remote Buddy (important - OS X will otherwise just rewrite the pref files when you quit it!)

2) Move the pref files located at ~/Library/Preferences/com.iospirit.remotebuddy* to another directory

3) Move the Behaviours you created from ~/Library/Application Support/Remote Buddy/Behaviours/ to another directory.

That's it, really.

Please be aware that the Harmony Remote often doesn't correctly learn Apple Remote codes and just replays the raw IR signal. For a single button press, the Harmony remote will then send multiple button presses., which can lead to undesired effects.

I therefore strongly recommend you to use a real Apple Remote or the pre-defined Apple Remote profile by Logitech while you're exploring the application and only start using a Harmony with a custom profile after that.

Chances are, you'll otherwise spend a lot of time trying to find a problem in Remote Buddy that's actually not a Remote Buddy problem, but a Harmony training problem.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz