Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

06.12.2009 19:23:01
RemoteBuddy Active from Sleep
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Even since updating to the latest version of RemoteBuddy, I've been experiencing this weird issue when waking my Mini from sleep. The only action I have programmed on my Harmony is "Watch TV". It used to be that when I hit this, it would wake the Mini, turn on my other components, and send an "Open Live TV Window", and "Toggle Full Screen". This would get me watching TV. I ALWAYS make sure EyeTV is the active application when I power off everything and then the Mini would sleep. This had been working great for the last 6 months or so.

Now after the latest update, the commands are getting lost. EyeTV shows as the active application, however it seems like it's really Finder. If I Apple Key + Tab on my keyboard, I have to tab to EyeTV to actually make it the active window. This is why the commands are getting lost but I don't know what happened.

In addition, I'm getting the RemoteBuddy "highlight" oblong circle at the bottom of the screen that dims but doesn't go away until I go open the RemoteBuddy window. If I don't do this first before Apple + Tabbing to EyeTV this will actually stay as a very dim overlay on all windows. (For reference, this is the outline you see when messages such as "Hot Key Remote Active" pop up. But there is no text within the highlight, it's blank.)

What changed and how do I fix?

Last edited: 06.12.2009 21:16:59 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Configuration
General
Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - EyeTV Receiver
Hardware - Harmony® Smart Control
User

07.12.2009 11:09:37
Re: RemoteBuddy Active from Sleep
View

Thanks for asking.

Can you open the Remote Buddy menu with the remote? Are you sure you have the Remote Buddy driver installed (or updated to the latest version of the RB driver that accompanies the latest RB release)?

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

08.12.2009 01:41:14
View

Hi Felix. Yes I have everything updated. I just went into RemoteBuddy and checked for updates and it states:

"Your installation is up-to-date. No new or updated components were found."

I am running the latest version of Leopard (10.5.8). I have NOT updated to Snow Leopard. I have also NOT downloaded and installed the Candelair driver. Do I need to download and install that even though I am not on Snow Leopard?

In addition, I was just able to reproduce this problem without putting the Mini to sleep. The only application that is open is EyeTV. After I checked for updates just now, I clicked the red circle X to close the RemoteBuddy dialog. At this point, EyeTV shows as the active application. Yet when I press a button on the remote, the white circle pops up and nothing happens. If I either Apple Key + Tab to EyeTV, or with a mouse select EyeTV and press a button on the remote, the appropriate action takes place. It appears RemoteBuddy is not releasing control back to EyeTV until you physically select the application.

This is the same behavior I experience when waking the Mini from sleep.

One more thing to note. I tried working around this by creating the following AppleScript to work around this issue and execute it first:

tell application "EyeTV" to activate

This has not resolved this issue.

I don't have RemoteBuddy set up to ever bring up the RemoteBuddy menu. I only use my Harmony or RemoteBuddy for that matter to control EyeTV. All other application I use a mouse and keyboard for. So I never programmed the Harmony to access the RemoteBuddy menu.

Last edited: 08.12.2009 01:50:16

Last edited: 08.12.2009 01:53:06

Last edited: 08.12.2009 01:55:52 

User

08.12.2009 02:11:19
View

Well, just installed the CandelaIR driver and that did not fix this issue... 
User

16.12.2009 15:58:47
Re: Re: RemoteBuddy Active from Sleep
View

Candelair is just a prefs pane that includes Remote Buddy's driver and provides an independant interface for installing and uninstalling it.

Remote Buddy's Setup Wizard offers the same. The driver is identical.

The Online Updater is only for updating Remote Buddy or its Behaviours to a new version from the web.

The Remote Buddy driver - including installation/uninstallation - is handled by the Setup Wizard and - unless you've expressly asked Remote Buddy to not tell you about an outdated or missing driver - it will, if that's the case, notify you about it on each start of the application.

The reason I asked about the driver is because you mentioned that it seems like the Finder would be controlled instead of EyeTV. Since Remote Buddy doesn't have any support for controlling the Finder, I followed that you were meaning the built-in OS X Apple Remote support. Which may or may not be a correct assumption.

Anyhow, whether or not you have the driver installed, can be determined easily and be brought down to just this one question: 
Can you open and navigate the Remote Buddy menu with the remote?

If no, please go to the Setup Wizard and use the Install option to install the driver.

If yes, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

16.12.2009 20:28:52
View

Thanks Felix. I will verify tonight if I have the driver installed. I did have a weird issue when upgrading were it stated it needed to install a seperate driver but then locked up. Maybe it never actually got that installed.

I was able to work around this by making my activators global. I never needed to do this before but it's working now without issue so I'm happy.

On a side note, I'm planning on rebuilding my entire mappings in the near future. I'm have a bunch of unused buttons on my Harmony that I want to add functionality to. But I also have a lot of unused buttons on my virtual remotes which I can't map in the harmony software because the remote ID has incremented (and as far as I know there is no way to decrement the apple remote ID so I can teach the commands to the harmony). So rather than making a confusing mess that requires mutliple spreadsheets to maintain. My plan is to take the total number of buttons on my harmony (plus the soft keys) and divide that by 6 to find the number of virtual remotes required to map each button. (I don't use the press and hold functionality. I make a button press and press and hold the same assignement. Just keeps it simpler.) That way when I want to expand functionality I already have the remote ID and buttons learned by the Harmony software, and I only have to assign them in remote buddy. Is this a good plan? I'm worried that I'm oversimplifying or missing something?

Thanks.

Last edited: 16.12.2009 20:32:08 

User

17.12.2009 00:58:31
View

Felix, I just checked. I'm running RB 1.16, and driver version 1.8.0.