Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

09.12.2009 23:11:46
Eye TV Remote + Remote Buddy: Not Working
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hi Felix,

**NOTE** Starting new thread

I am unable to get the Eye TV remote to respond to any input while using remote buddy.

I am using:

• Eye TV Hybrid + Eye TV 3.21

• Mac Pro (No built in IR Receiver)

• OS X 10.6.2

----

I can get RB to recognize the Eye TV remote.

See screen shot here: http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/5885/menug.jpg

However when I do this the Eye TV remote will not respond to input in any application, not even Eye TV.

I am also not able to access the RB menu.

I followed these instructions:

---

Setup

No setup is needed. When both EyeTV and Remote Buddy are running at the same time, the first press of a button on a supported remote control (and received via a compatible EyeTV receiver) automatically adds it to Remote Buddy. You'll have to press a button on the remote again when you start EyeTV again the next time.

---

And based on the "Compatibility matrix" it looks like the most current build of Eye TV is not supported. 
It indicates 3.0.4 and I am using 3.2.1(5721).

I may not be understanding this correctly.

Thanks again.

Justin 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware
Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - EyeTV Receiver
User

10.12.2009 03:14:58
Re: Eye TV Remote + Remote Buddy: Not Working
View

I was able to install the Ajax remote on the iPhone and it works great with Plex. Very cool!

So I am hoping I can find a solution to get the Eye TV remote to work as well.

Any insights are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Justin

User

10.12.2009 03:30:04
View

I am wondering if I should see options for the Eye TV Remote here:

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/9460/screenshot20091209at628.png

Thanks again,

Justin

Last edited: 10.12.2009 03:49:20 

User

16.12.2009 16:41:36
View

Thanks for asking.

The version number in the Compatibility Matrix only indicates from which version upwards that remote is supported. The combination you list should work fine.

What is important to keep in mind, though, is that not all buttons of the EyeTV Remote are mapped with an action be default. So, in most applications, only the core set of buttons will trigger any reaction. For the EyeTV Remote, this is

Enter OK Vol < Vol > Ch /\ Ch \/

You can click on the respective button's names at Prefs > Mapping to see a visualization on the right where these buttons are located on your remote.

Controlling EyeTV is a special case: by default, Remote Buddy passes back all button presses to EyeTV, which then handles it itself. When controlling EyeTV, by default only a long press of the Menu button (==> the "Enter" button on EyeTV remotes) will open Remote Buddy's menu.

I hope this information helps you. If it does not, please let me know and I'll look into it in detail together with you.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

16.12.2009 16:41:36
Re: Re: Eye TV Remote + Remote Buddy: Not Working
View

Thanks for asking.

For most remotes, including the EyeTV Remote, no options are available.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

16.12.2009 17:00:32
View

Hi Felix,

Thanks for the response.

I am not sure what is happening or not happening. 
But I am just unable to get the Eye TV remote to work with RB.

I followed the instructions and I am able to see the Eye Remote in the RB buddy prefs.

However using the keys you mentioned I am not able to use the Eye TV remote with any application.

The long press to get the menu does not work either.

I think at this point I can't spend any more time on this.

I am going to have go with getting an external IR receiver.

Thanks for all the help with this.

Justin 

User

20.12.2009 16:07:46
View

Hi Justin,

thanks for your response.

What may be worth a look - and doesn't take much time: please open /Applications/Utilities/Console.app and select "All messages". Then use the EyeTV Remote and check whether any messages about unknown remotes or buttons turn up in the log. If they do, please copy and paste them. Using that information I may be able to detect and fix an - as of yet - unknown problem.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

03.04.2010 23:47:24
View

I'm seeing this problem too. Remote Buddy recognizes the eye tv remote and it's activated but does not act on any buttons and, while Remote Buddy is running, neither does EyeTV. The log messages you requested all have the form:

<date> Remote Buddy[<pid>] Received unknown raw code 0xXX from EyeTV Remote on receiver EyeTV Receiver (17733 @ -2)

where 0xXX is a 2 digit hex number that changes depending on the button. For example, the 'Enter' button is 0xf1 and the 'OK' button in 0xec.

I have an EyeTV Hybrid (I'm not sure which version; it doesn't have radio reception, if that helps identify it). EyeTV version is 3.3.3 (3.3.2 was no better). Remote Buddy is 1.16.2.

P.S. I'm running the trial version to see if Remote Buddy meets my needs. It won't without a fix for this. I'm happy to try any suggestions. I'm familiar with the terminal and can edit plists or binary files if necessary.

User

09.04.2010 11:50:47
View

Thanks for asking and sorry for the late reply!

This is interesting. These codes differ entirely from the code table for the EyeTV Remote as present in Remote Buddy.

Is your remote control identical to this one? 
http://images1.elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/buy/storeContent/0/section_3_items/00/imageTeaser/EyeTV-Remote-teaser.jpg

If yes, please copy and paste the USB information you can gather about your EyeTV Hardware (from System-Profiler.app > Hardware > USB) to the reply, so I know which hardware is in use.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

10.04.2010 05:57:16
View

That looks like it. Relevant info from system profiler:

EyeTV Hybrid:

Product ID: 0x0008 
Vendor ID: 0x0fd9 
Version: 0.05 
Serial Number: 4031657180 
Manufacturer: Elgato

cheers, 
-chris