Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

14.12.2009 20:25:03
Strategy for Starting Over from Scratch?
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
I'm planning on scrubbing my current Harmony remote integration and starting over. Basically, I only use the Harmony to control EyeTV, but I'd like to add a much more feature rich experience. Since there isn't any way to decrement remote IDs I've discovered the only way to expand on my current set up is to add additional virtual remotes and have the Harmony learn the commands. But I feel this is clunky since I have unused virtual remote buttons on my current setup. So, I think I'll start from scratch.

My question is what do most users do to start? I'm thinking I'll literally count the number of buttons on my Harmony remote (including the soft buttons which I believe they allow up to 8) and divide that total number by 6. That will tell me the maximum number of virtual remotes needed. Then I'll have the Harmony learn each command all at once so that at any given time as I incrementally expand I can assign out more buttons as needed.

What does everyone else do? I've seen lots of spreadsheets and what not online, but that is because only certain buttons are used on each remote and learned by the Harmony leading to all kinds of confusion. But I'm curios what other people do. 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - EyeTV Receiver
Hardware - Harmony® Smart Control
User

26.03.2010 02:34:59
Re: Strategy for Starting Over from Scratch?
View

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Do I have the right line of thinking to add up all the buttons and divide by 6? Will that give me enough? Do I ever need more virtual remotes than I do buttons on my Harmony? 
User

26.03.2010 20:58:50
View

I can't tell from your posts—are you aware of and using the Plex device for Harmony remotes? If not, you need it; it's 10 Apple remotes in one Harmony device. It gives you 59 buttons (it should be 60 but one button doesn't seem to be assigned) that you can assign to any function. Do you have this? 
User

28.03.2010 17:43:06
View

Hi Dave. I do run a HTPC with Plex. I currently don't have Plex added as a device to my Harmony because when I've tried this in the past I was never able to get RB and Plex to play nice. It seemed RB was blocking the remote codes from passing through to Plex so once I launched Plex, nothing would respond. (I was using the native Harmony support in Plex.) I then deleted Plex device from Harmony and have just been using a Keyboard/Mouse combo anytime I'm doing anything other than EyeTV (which I have programmed through RB).

So if I understand what you are suggesting, I should add back in the Plex device to my Harmony and then simply re-assign all the buttons to be whatever I want instead of working with Plex. But if I do that, I won't be able to actually use the Harmony natively with Plex, correct? I was going to try this again during my "start over" process.

Also if I do this, will I have enough buttons? The one thing I can't seem to get straight in my head is if I need one unique button for each function I'm trying to perform? Or can I reuse buttons so long as I'm in different behaviors within RB? 

User

30.03.2010 11:16:47
Re: Re: Strategy for Starting Over from Scratch?
View

Hi Dave. I do run a HTPC with Plex. I currently don't have Plex added as a device to my Harmony because when I've tried this in the past I was never able to get RB and Plex to play nice. It seemed RB was blocking the remote codes from passing through to Plex so once I launched Plex, nothing would respond. (I was using the native Harmony support in Plex.) I then deleted Plex device from Harmony and have

Remote Buddy isn't blocking any codes. It interprets the codes and executes the actions that are assigned to the respective buttons just as specified at Prefs > Mapping > [Name of app]. If, instead, you want to pass through Apple Remote codes for a specific application, you can do this as well by selecting the respective "Virtual Remote action".

You can find details on this in particular (Harmony/Plex/Remote Buddy) here:

http://www.iospirit.com/blog/article/131/Remote-Buddy-and-Boxee-Plex-and-XBMC/

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz