Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

19.12.2009 20:41:32
List of Compatible Universal Remotes w/ 7 Button Apple Remote
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Felix, from you review of the new 7 button Apple remote:

"But it comes at a price: hardly any current Universal Remote will be able to correctly learn and emulate the new codes. I fully expect that, instead, they'll just record and replay the raw IR signal of the new buttons. The effect of this will be that one button press on the Universal Remote will be translated into several raw replays of the new AppleŽ Remote codes. Or, in other words: one button press on the Universal Remote will act like multiple button presses, because that's what'll be sent."

I'm in the process of starting over on my remote setup and would like to utilize the new remote if possible with my Harmony 550 (just to reduce the number of virtual remotes needed) but doubt it's compatible. I've googled and haven't come up with anything on what remotes are compatible as you mention above. Do you happen to know the list? 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - Harmony® Smart Control
User

20.12.2009 16:20:46
Re: List of Compatible Universal Remotes w/ 7 Button Apple Remote
View

Thanks for asking.

The new Apple Remote sends a sequence like this:

[press prefix code] [press button code] [repeat] [repeat] ..

whereas Universal Remotes currently will most likely only be prepared for

[press button code] [repeat] [repeat] ..

If they encounter something like sequence from the new Apple Remote, they may not be able to detect this as a special case, because it didn't exist before and see it as a macro of two separate button presses. So, you'll most likely get something like this instead:

[press prefix code] [press button code] [press prefix code] [press button code] [press prefix code] [press button code] ..

Which renders it pretty useless.

If you want to program a Universal Remote with an Apple Remote, I recommend to use one of the first generation (white) Apple Remotes.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

20.12.2009 22:48:19
View

Thanks Felix. Yeah I figured as much from your review. Just hoping that you had a list of remotes with updated firmware to support the new apple remotes. I realize this isn't a Remote Buddy issue in any way, but hoping since you're so involved in the remote community you might have the inside scoop for us.

Thanks! 

User

07.01.2010 20:03:15
View

I read you post, and I believe this might be connected to the issue I am experiencing?

I just purchased Remote Buddy and a Harmony 515 to set up with EyeTv / Plex / Itunes.

I programmed the remote according to this article 
http://funwithcomputers.wordpress.com/

Although everything is working nicely I am experiencing double presses on, most often, the plus button.

I turned of the global mapping and the hotkey, to make sure they didnt interfere.

I used the old white remote to learn the commands to the Harmony, and tried to reduce the send value in the settings, to no avail.

Simon 

User

08.01.2010 10:29:26
Re: Re: List of Compatible Universal Remotes w/ 7 Button Apple Remote
View

Thanks for asking.

What you experience is most likely a common, general problem of the Harmony: they often don't properly recognize Apple Remote codes (even the ones from the White Apple Remote) and instead of sending the correct

[press][stillPressed][stillPressed][stillPressed].. (=> one long press)

they just record and replay the raw IR signal:

[press][press][press][press][press][press].. (=> several short presses in quick succession)

The solution is to retrain the affected button(s) until the Harmony properly recognizes the respective code.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz