Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

20.12.2009 13:04:05
Harmony remote button to keystroke
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
I have a mac mini set up as a media center with EyeTV, Plex and Hulu Desktop. (And of course Remote Buddy)

I also have a wonderful Logitech Harmony One.

So what I want to do is:

Create an activity on the Harmony for each of the three application.

Set the Harmony to send a button-command when activating an activity and another button-command when deactivating. (Easily done through Harmony software).. I've made a device for EyeTV, a device for Plex and a device that have the normal apple remote functions for Hulu Desktop. I've then set the device to be powered on by a specific button not actively used by the current device ... and likewise powered off by another.

The tricky part for me is, that this button-command should be interpreted by the Mini as a keystroke (in this case F6), which will function as a hotkey that activates an AppleScript.

Any ideas?

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - EyeTV Receiver
Hardware - Harmony® Smart Control
User

20.12.2009 16:22:41
Re: Harmony remote button to keystroke
View

Thanks for asking.

You can create custom actions in Remote Buddy at Prefs > Mapping - or - global actions in the Behaviour Construction Kit. AppleScript is one of the building blocks you can use.

For information on both, please see Remote Buddy Help > How do I ..

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

04.01.2010 21:02:57
View

I would like to have the same setup as you. I have all of these programs installed but can't figure out how to let the remote send the keystroke. When I customize the buttons under activity I only see the basic functions for the apple remote. How did you get it to send function keys? 
User

08.01.2010 16:47:37
View

I never did.. Although I usually don't give up when faced with these kinds of challenges, I had to with this one..

Found out when the "Plex" device is activated, it turns the Harmony into 8 different apple remotes each with it's own ID. (Ex. the "8" on the harmony sends the command "Play/Pause" for remote 2 and the "Guide" button sends the command "Menu" for remote 7) all together it adds up to a bunch of different signals.

I had RB recognize each button of the 8 different remotes and with a bit more work I could probably have found a way to change one of these buttons to a keystroke but that didn't change the fact, that Plex had to be activated first on the Harmony.

So I ended up buying the new Apple alu remote and set up RB in a standard way.. It works but I'm still struggling with not being able to move the mouse when the mini wakes from sleep.

Can anybody tell me how I run an applescript upon wake? I already made a script that makes RB move the mouse away from the toolbar when the computer is turned on (via login item).. but the system places the mouse right back on the toolbar when it goes to sleep.. which leaves me with a visible toolbar when EyeTV is launched in fullscreen.....