Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

27.12.2009 18:25:03
EyeTV menu freeze in combination with RB and Apple Remote
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Since recently, the EyeTV menu freezes quite frequently. The menu opens but then browsing through the main menu using the Apple Remote in combination with Remote Buddy doesn't work. This is of course highly annoying.

I'm not sure if this is a EyeTV or Remote Buddy issue, so I have also addressed the issue with the makers of EyeTV (Elgato). 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware
Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - EyeTV Receiver
User

27.12.2009 18:49:41
Re: EyeTV menu freeze in combination with RB and Apple Remote
View

Thanks for asking.

Please provide me with:

1) the version of EyeTV

2) the version of Remote Buddy

3) which receiver hardware you are using

4) which OS version and Mac model you are using

5) steps on how to reproduce the problem

Thanks in advance.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

27.12.2009 20:53:46
View

1) the version of EyeTV 
3.3 (5848)

Elgato 310

Mac Mini (Early 2009) with 4GB of memory running OSX 10.6.2

Use the menu button on the Apple Remote to access the EyeTV menu then scroll up or down to select a submenu. The scrolling does not happen (nor does selecting a submenu with play as a matter of fact). The only way to scroll is by using the keyboard. Whilst using the remote the EyeTV menu can be turned off by using the menu off functionality accessed by accessing the Remote Buddy menu by holding the menu button for a short while.

Please mind you that the menu freeze suddenly happens and is not reproducible all the time. Once the menu freezes, it does freeze almost always thereafter.

Last edited: 27.12.2009 20:55:57 

User

27.12.2009 22:58:00
View

I am getting exactly the same issue on a Mac Mini connected to an eyetv sat tuner. I've stopped using Remote Buddy and have gone back to using the eyetv remote and it seems to be working fine most of the time. I really liked Remote Buddy as it made switching from eyetv to Plex very easy. The satellite tuner was failing to initialise channels when Remote Buddy was installed which meant that programmes weren't being recorded. It's removal seems to have made eyetv more reliable, though I still occasionally get the channel freeze problem. I am only trailing Remote Buddy at the moment and will buy a licence if this can be resolved. 
User

29.12.2009 12:50:36
Re: Re: EyeTV menu freeze in combination with RB and Apple Remote
View

@ KeithR:

Thanks for asking. This issue is not related to Remote Buddy.

As you've noticed yourself in the EyeTV forums, this issue occurs whether or not Remote Buddy is installed. Remote Buddy has no influence or part in it. All it does upon a channel change is to control EyeTV via AppleScripts (using EyeTV's official AppleScript support) like these:

tell application "EyeTV" to channel_up 
tell application "EyeTV" to channel_down 
tell application "EyeTV" to channel_change 1

A friend of mine has had the same issue with his TerraTec S7 (which should be identical in hardware to the EyeTV Sat). The solution for him was to get a replacement unit.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

29.12.2009 12:54:46
View

@ ArjenB:

Thanks for the information. Is which submenu does this problem occur? Do they have a red background?

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

29.12.2009 21:12:19
View

The main menu freezes. Scrolling or selecting submenu's like recordings, channels etc. becomes impossible. 
User

30.12.2009 09:26:36
View

Same software versions with recent Mac Mini Server hardware and EyeTV Diversity dual tuner.

I get the same symptoms, and quite often EyeTV ends up crashing.

Also my programmable remote finds difficulty communicating learned Apple Remote commands when RB is running. Without RB EyeTV understands them.

Bill

On 28/12/2009, at 6:53 AM, ArjenB wrote:

1) the version of EyeTV 
3.3 (5848)

Elgato 310

Mac Mini (Early 2009) with 4GB of memory running OSX 10.6.2

Use the menu button on the Apple Remote to access the EyeTV menu then scroll up or down to select a submenu. The scrolling does not happen. The only way to scroll is by using the keyboard. Whilst using the remote the EyeTV menu can be turned off by using the menu off functionality accessed by accessing the Remote Buddy menu by holding the menu button for a short while.

Please mind you that the menu freeze suddenly happens and is not reproducible all the time. Once the menu freezes, it does freeze almost always thereafter. 

User

02.01.2010 16:26:36
View

With regards to receiving Apple Remote button presses, Remote Buddy prefers the internal Apple IR receiver over the EyeTV IR receiver. The EyeTV software may do it the other way round, so that - depending on whether you use Remote Buddy or not - you'll get a different quality of reception by two different receivers that are positioned differently. If you want to use the EyeTV receiver with Remote Buddy in favor of the built-in Apple IR receiver, you can disable the Apple Remote as listed under "Built-In receiver" and enable the Apple Remote as listed under "EyeTV Receiver".

Remote Buddy can't have any influence on EyeTV's stability. It doesn't hack, patch or modify it nor any other application. If EyeTV crashes, please file a bugreport with Elgato and attach the crash log.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

03.01.2010 08:24:32
View

On 03/01/2010, at 2:26 AM, Felix wrote:

With regards to receiving Apple Remote button presses, Remote Buddy prefers the internal Apple IR receiver over the EyeTV IR receiver. The EyeTV software may do it the other way round, so that - depending on whether you use Remote Buddy or not - you'll get a different quality of reception by two different receivers that are positioned differently. If you want to use the EyeTV receiver with Remote Buddy in favor of the built-in Apple IR receiver, you can disable the Apple Remote as listed under "Built-In receiver" and enable the Apple Remote as listed under "EyeTV Receiver".

That is most helpful and I think might explain some of the problems. I will try using the Apple Remote under EyeTV receiver in Hardware.

Cheers 
Bill 

User

07.01.2010 04:53:32
View

I hate to say it, but I have the same EyeTV Menu problem with the Ajax Remote. Sometimes no matter how I use the Ajax Remote to activate the on-screen EyeTV menu, I can't navigate the menu with the Ajax Remote.

The scenario is that I usually am joining a one hour long scheduled recording in progress after leaving EyeTV running since the previous night, with the EyeTV Window closed, and without putting my Mac Mini to sleep. (I get home from work each night and want to watch a particular program that's already started.)

I understand (and sympathize) that this is almost certainly an EyeTV issue, but I thought I'd try and describe the scenario, which involves leaving EyeTV running for an extended period and scheduled recording.

Restarting EyeTV seems to resolve the problem - I think. I can also change volume and fast forward and reverse with the remote while experiencing the problem or use RemoteBuddy's trackpad to navigate the "frozen" menu.

(Version & hardware info is my thread about missing channel info).

(My apologies for not getting this into the right place in the thread.)

Take care -

- Tim

Last edited: 07.01.2010 04:54:50 

User

08.01.2010 03:59:52
View

Since I purchased a RemoteBuddy license a few minutes ago, I feel entitled to one last misplaced post (since it deals with the Ajax Remote) ;-)

When I came home tonight I used Snatch's EyeTV Remote to join my recording in progress and open and navigate the EyeTV menus without any trouble. Coincidence? Maybe! RemoteBuddy displayed and navigated the menus fine at that point. I certainly prefer RemoteBuddy's elegant gesture based Ajax remote, and feel I now have a workable system for my Touch, Mac Mini, and EyeTV.

Take care -

- Tim