Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

28.12.2009 18:55:04
Need some help with menues
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hello Felix,

as known, there is a lack in the ability to start movies in Dolby Digital sound from Front Row. FR forces QT to show the movie and then the trouble starts. There are many hints in the net to solve this problem. I follwed several of them but had no success so far. 
Today I started again with a new approach: Why not use the RB menue to start the VLC player which -unlike QT- is able to play the movies in DD. 
What can I say: It works ! 
But: Not as seamless as I would like to have it. 
I use my MiniMac as a HomeTheatre only and don't like to touch the mouse or keypad if possible. 
I am sure what I have configured can be improved. So perhaps you (or someone else) can give me some hints:

1) I configured a global mapping "Down (long)" with "Open Remote Buddy Menue (Main Menue)" 
This does work inside EyeTV but not inside FrontRow. Why ? (Following a long press in FR EyeTV launches)

2) I created my own Menue Profile and made it active. It (should) contain(s) only the VLC submenue. But when 
I am in EyeTV, launch the RB menue, select VLC Behaviour, activate it, launch again the menue, select a movie 
and start it, I got an error that the Audio channel is used exclusivly by EyeTV.... 
So I added EyeTV to my Profile. Then I have to go to the EyeTV Behaviour, stop EyeTV and then start 
the sequence to get the movie played by VLC. Any idea how get this handled with more comfort ?

3) In the menue there are some more entries like "Get to front", "Used Documents" and so on. I couldn't find the place where to configure if these entries should appear or not. Or is this impossible ?

4) What I really want to achive is menue from where I do not have to start and stop anything .... 
At the best after launching the menue I like to see my movie directory (I dragged the movie directory into my profile !), select the movie I want to see and then, when it is selected: Start VLC (Stop EyeTV....), play the movie. 
Do you think I can come a little bit closer to this desire ? (It's Christmas, isn't it ?)

Thanks you in advance, Felix ! (Komm gut ins neue Jahr !)

Regards 
Andree

Leopard 
EyeTV 3.2.1 
RemoteBuddy 1.16 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Behaviours
Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - EyeTV Receiver
User

29.12.2009 12:43:21
Re: Need some help with menues
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Thanks for asking.

Regarding your questions:

1) Unlike the Tiger version of Front Row, the Leopard and Snow Leopard versions of Front Row exclusively access the display. No other application can put windows or menus on top of it. Front Row needs to be quit before any application can show any window or menu. In contrast, EyeTV doesn't do anything such and doesn't have such issues.

2) This sounds like essentially an EyeTV/Digital Audio Out topic, so I'm afraid I can't help much here. You could, however, most likely work around this issue by creating an action with an AppleScript snippet that performs this action for you and place that action as an item in your Remote Buddy menu. Something else worth checking in that context is which audio device you've selected in EyeTV Prefs > Audio for audio out. IIRC selecting "System Audio Out" should avoid exclusive access issues like these. I can't really tell because as of yet I don't own any digital audio equipment.

3) This option is only available to kiosk applications for now. Please file a support inquiry if you need control over this feature and I'll provide you with the necessary information.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz

P.S.: Danke - und ebenso einen guten Rutsch in neue Jahr :-)