Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

29.12.2009 16:12:57
Harmony Setup for a Newbie
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
I received a Harmony 520 for the holidays and I have been looking all over for information to make it more useful than the apple remote, to no avail I might add. The info is either out of date or not what I am looking for? I want to use most of the buttons on the remote. Here is what I mean: I want to set up an Activitiy that launches EyeTV, then I would like to use the forward/ rewind buttons to control the forward/ rewind on the live tv or recorded tv. I want to be able to press the record button and have it record. I want the Channel Up/ Down buttons to change the channels and the guide button to go to the guide. Plex works pretty well but the volume buttons don't work. I added plex to my remote devices but it doesn't work, at all.

Is there a step-by-step guide to setting this up that a dumb-dumb like me can use? I thought the Harmony would work better than the Apple Remote but if I can only use the same 6 buttons, then it is just a glorified Apple Remote that can turn on my TV as well.

Thanks and BTW I love remote buddy!

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware
Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - EyeTV Receiver
Hardware - Harmony® Smart Control
User

30.12.2009 12:14:55
Re: Harmony Setup for a Newbie
View

I believe this is what you are looking for :-)

http://funwithcomputers.wordpress.com/2008/03/01/using-the-harmony-880-remote-with-your-macs-built-in-ir-port/

I just bought Remote Buddy today, and I am ordering my Harmony today as well, finally a family friendly Mac Mini media center

Simon 

User

30.12.2009 15:48:32
View

Hmm, I seem to have forgotten to mention that I have an eHome IR reciever... And I don't see the "add multiple remotes" option anywhere in remote buddy. I am using the latest version of RB. Should this option be there or is it not because I am not using the built-in IR (which I don't have)? 
User

30.12.2009 16:13:05
View

Sorry for the double post. I read here http://touch-remote.com/index.php?mode=view&obj_type=forum&obj_id=11&o_forum_dmode=view&o_forum_forumentry_id=12690 that it isn't possible with the eHome reciever, is this true? I will have to switch over to the darkside and try Windows Media Center on windows 7 Ugg. Let me know if there is anything I can do. Your my only hope :) 
User

30.12.2009 16:32:44
View

If you have the Plex device added to your Harmony, you're most of the way there. That device is actually a collection of 10 different Apple Remote ids, giving you about 60 remote codes to work with. You'll need to turn on support for multiple remote ids in Remote Buddy, and let it detect each of the 10 remote ids by pressing buttons on the Harmony. This list of which Harmony buttons correspond to which buttons on which remote id will be helpful: https://secure.iospirit.com/support/forums/remotebuddy/singlethread/13590/

Once RB is aware of all ten of the remote IDs, you can go into its preferences and map any button on the Harmony to any action you want for each behavior. I only have one activity in the Logitech setup to control the computer, but you could set up separate activities for different programs. You'd need each activity to send a unique code as it starts and have RB's global mapping set to launch the appropriate behavior when it sees that code. 

User

28.02.2010 03:18:17
View

Hey, I have been playing with windows 7 - but I want to come back to eyetv/plex and RB. So as I said previously I have a ehome reciever so I can't turn on multiple remotes... is there a way around this? 
User

02.03.2010 08:27:46
Re: Re: Harmony Setup for a Newbie
View

Support for multiple remotes is currently only available with built-in Apple Receivers.

Remote Buddy's driver for the eHome receiver does, however, also decode the ID encoded into the Apple Remote signal. If you use it with RB's Virtual Remote, it'll relay the ID as well, allowing you to use the "Universal Remote" mode of Plex. For more information, please see my blog post on this topic:

http://www.iospirit.com/blog/article/131/Remote-Buddy-and-Boxee-Plex-and-XBMC/

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

02.03.2010 19:39:40
View

Works well enough with plex... What about EyeTV? I am trying to get my head around the virtual remote. I just want the volume and channel buttons to work - unfortunately they are seen as the same button on the remote. Is there a guide to set this up - keeping in mind I can't use the multiple remotes option. Thanks!!!