Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

28.01.2010 01:16:19
Is there no hope for using a DBT 120 dongle with Remote Buddy
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
I just resurrected an old G4 working that doesn't have bluetooth and I wanted to control it with a remote for a media center. Great. The BT dongle had was unreliable so I got a D-Link DBT-120 V 4.2 which is supposed to be one of the most compatible ones out there. Works perfect with my Logitech DiNovo BT keyboard/pad thing and has a much more stable connection.

Now I download the software, pull out a recently purchases Sony BD remote that I bought for this purpose, and I can't get it to see the thing! I looked in the forums first and saw that several months back someone posted that this dongle was incompatible. You have got to be kidding me! It's been out a long time and has gone through several updates and you're telling me it isn't compatible? Nowhere on the hardware compatibility page does it say that it isn't compatible with this or that there are only certain dongle's that work.

Here's the product page for it: http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=34

Can anyone help here or did I just waste money on the hardware? 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Built-in Online Updater
Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - Sony® BD Remote Control
Hardware - Wii™ Remote
User

28.01.2010 04:03:19
Re: Is there no hope for using a DBT 120 dongle with Remote Buddy
View

Well after about an hour of fiddling around which included putting my old BT dongle on and getting the remote to be seen, I put the D-Link back in cussed a little more, and than it magically appeared in both the Apple BT preferences and was able to pair with Remote Buddy. Of course all this was after I paid for the software because I thought at the very least the AJAX remote on the iPhone was cool.

Now lets hope this thing can actually stay paired. 

User

28.01.2010 07:47:27
Re: Re: Is there no hope for using a DBT 120 dongle with Remote Buddy
View

Thanks for asking.

I can understand your frustration, but please don't blame Remote Buddy for something it is not responsible for:

Bluetooth controllers are handled entirely by Apple's drivers and Apple's Bluetooth stack. No application has any influence on the quality of these and how well they support USB Bluetooth sticks. Applications never get in touch with the actual hardware or the low-level communication. This is entirely done by Apple's Bluetooth stack itself.

Under OS X applications *can* only use Bluetooth through a high-level API that completely abstracts the hardware away. The stack looks like this:

Bluetooth USB stick > USB stack > Bluetooth driver > Bluetooth stack > Bluetooth User space daemon > High-level API > Applications

As you can see, Remote Buddy is at the end of the food-chain. It's affected by any issues of layers coming before it. But it has no influence on the correct functioning of these layers.

Remote Buddy works well with Bluetooth controllers that *OS X* supports properly - which includes but certainly is not limited to built-in Apple Bluetooth Controllers and the Hama Bluetooth stick (purchased in 2006, current Hama models may differ) we're also running tests with.

I'm sorry if Apple's Bluetooth drivers don't support your particular Bluetooth stick well, but it really isn't anything Remote Buddy can do anything about or that it has any influence on. It's completely out of its reach and sphere of influence.

I'm afraid we also can't do anything about it. OS X is Apple's product. OS X' Bluetooth stack is part of it. And it's strictly closed source. So if a certain version of OS X has a compatibility problem with a certain Bluetooth stick, only Apple will be able to fix it. We simply can't and it's also not our responsibility.

Therefore, if you want to see anything change, please don't blame us for something we're not responsible for, but instead please contact Apple and ask them to support your hardware.

Please also contact Apple for a list of Bluetooth sticks compatible and incompatible with their OS. Alternatively, the makers of USB sticks should be able to provide you with information on whether or not a certain model is compatible with a certain version of OS X.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz