Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

15.02.2010 18:30:20
Bug : Huge hard disk activity when running Remote Buddy
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
I'm currently using Remote Buddy 1.16.1 Trial version and I noticed there is very big usage of HD that lasts for several minutes upon the launch of the app. 
It comes to a point where the computer is barely responsive. If I close RB it immediately stops. I tried to see what it did with fs_usage and I see tons of disk accesses from mds, (mainly lstat64 & RdMeta) to all kinds of unrelated files and drives. It just seems to scan all the files on all drives. I don't really get the purpose of that. If I wait for it to finish it lasts about 10 minutes.

My computer is an iMac with C2D 2.4 running snow leopard in 64bit mode. 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Apple® Remote
User

15.02.2010 19:01:11
Re: Bug : Huge hard disk activity when running Remote Buddy
View

Thanks for asking.

Please note:

a) mds is Apple's OS X Spotlight server. It's not a part of Remote Buddy. Remote Buddy is not scanning your harddrive and does not have any influence on which files Spotlight is indexing at a given time. Please contact Apple if you have any concerns about Spotlight's file accesses.

b) The Movie Library feature for VLC Media Player and DVD Player asks Spotlight for a list of folders named VIDEO_TS so it can present them in the Movie Library.

c) You can disable the Spotlight discovery of VIDEO_TS folders at Prefs > Movie Library.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz

P.S.: For security reasons and because we've seen abuse of our services using them in the past, we can't allow the signup and use of our services with disposable email addresses. Your account at iospirit.com therefore has been closed. You're welcome to open a new account using your real name and email address. If you're concerned about your privacy or spam, please read our privacy policy: we don't send any spam and we don't sell any data. Thanks for your understanding. 

User

16.06.2010 22:30:29
View

I've downloaded Version 1.16.3 as a trial and having the same problem. I'm on a Mac Pro quad 2.66. Strange thing is the disk activity really stops when I quit Remote Buddy.

I like the trial otherwise and thinking about buying it (using it with a PS3 remote), but the constant rattling of the HDD is just very annoying...

I'd gladly run tests or provide more info if needed.

User

17.06.2010 16:32:13
View

Thanks for asking.

Please see my previous answer, point c).

The auto-discovery of VIDEO_TS folders uses Spotlight to look for all folders with the name VIDEO_TS. If Spotlight should cause high disk activity when queried for these folders, you can deactivate this feature with a single click.

Please understand that Remote Buddy has no control over the inner workings of Spotlight and how much disk activity it needs to perform a search.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz