Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

01.03.2010 17:01:46
Using Harmony One remote with Remote Buddy
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hi all,

I've just received a Harmony One remote which is really handy to control my audio systems and home automation (I am a paraplegic). I would like to set up my Mac mini as a media centre with Plex but I don't seem to understand how to get the Harmony remote to work with the mini,RB, and Plex.

I suppose my questions may have been been asked and possibly before, sorry for any inconvenience but I would really appreciate any help you might give me:

- Both multiple remotes and automatic authorisation is selected but pressing keys on the Harmony has no effect nothing seems to happen, i. e. no other remotes appear. 
- RB multiple devices panel shows that the Apple remote has an ID of 134, is this the aluminium Apple remote? 
- When - and if - I can get the Harmony recognised by RB how do I get the Control (C key) added without too much change to the RB Plex mapping? 
- Do I need to pair twice the remotes (Al. Apple and Harmony) in the security prefpane? 
- If I need to pair and start again from scratch will some kind soul help me with step by step instructions to use the Harmony with RB?. I've tried to follow the instruction manual in Help but I must be a klutz cause I'm getting nowhere.

Thanks

Paul

Paul Alphandery 
p.alphandery@bluewin.ch 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - Harmony® Smart Control
Hardware - iPhone™ / iPod® touch / AJAX Remote
User

02.03.2010 08:50:46
Re: Using Harmony One remote with Remote Buddy
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Thanks for asking.

Please see my answers below.

I've just received a Harmony One remote which is really handy to control my audio systems and home automation (I am a paraplegic). I would like to set up my Mac mini as a media centre with Plex but I don't seem to understand how to get the Harmony remote to work with the mini,RB, and Plex.

Just a short notice regarding this one: the Harmony One "multiple remote" setup is not officially supported by Remote Buddy. The support for multiple remotes in Remote Buddy is designed for use with multiple, actual Apple Remotes.

I suppose my questions may have been been asked and possibly before, sorry for any inconvenience but I would really appreciate any help you might give me:

- Both multiple remotes and automatic authorisation is selected but pressing keys on the Harmony has no effect nothing seems to happen, i. e. no other remotes appear.

This really depends on what profile you're using with your Harmony at that time, which IR protocol and codes that profile contains and which buttons actually have an IR code assigned.

If Remote Buddy receives an IR code from an a previously "unknown" Apple Remote, it'll add an entry. For technical reasons (the Apple IR Receiver *only* understands Apple Remote codes and won't report anything when you point another remote at it), Remote Buddy will not be able to inform you about button presses encoded with protocols other than the one used by the Apple Remote.

If you want your Harmony remote to emulate multiple Apple Remotes, you either can try training your Harmony Remote with different Apple Remotes - or - use the Plex profile available in the Harmony Setup. Be warned, though, that some of the buttons in the Plex profile weren't trained correctly and a single button press there will send multiple real button presses, which *will* lead to undesired side effects outside the use as outlined in the blog post linked at the end of this email.

- RB multiple devices panel shows that the Apple remote has an ID of 134, is this the aluminium Apple remote?

Every Apple Remote - both white plastic and aluminum - can have one of the 256 possible IDs between 0-255.

- When - and if - I can get the Harmony recognised by RB how do I get the Control (C key) added without too much change to the RB Plex mapping?

You can do this via a custom action. Please see Remote Buddy Help > How-Tos for step-by-step instructions.

- Do I need to pair twice the remotes (Al. Apple and Harmony) in the security prefpane?

You shouldn't pair any remote there, if you want to use more than one Apple Remote with your Apple IR Receiver. Pairing means "only accept IR codes of the Apple Remote with this particular ID and ignore all other IR codes coming from all other Apple Remotes".

- If I need to pair and start again from scratch will some kind soul help me with step by step instructions to use the Harmony with RB?. I've tried to follow the instruction manual in Help but I must be a klutz cause I'm getting nowhere.

I recommend to use the normal Apple Remote profile of the Harmony Remote with Remote Buddy. And, if you want to use the Universal Remote mode of Plex, Boxee, XBMC, etc., there's only very, very little setup required:

http://www.iospirit.com/blog/article/131/Remote-Buddy-and-Boxee-Plex-and-XBMC/

Regarding the creation of custom actions, you'll find step-by-step instructions at Remote Buddy Help > How-Tos.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz