Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

05.03.2010 03:35:19
two small bugs (volume indicator and zoom)
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hi there. I've just purchased Remote Buddy and a PS3 remote and so far everything is working pretty well. However, i did notice two minor bugs that are somewhat annoying:

1. The volume indicator sound (the 'blip' noise) often plays multiple times. i.e., instead of pressing volume up and getting a 'blip' sound, i'll often get a 'blip-blip' or 'blip-blip-blip'. It's not every single time, but just about, and i've noticed it with both the PS3 remote and the (white) Apple Remote, so i don't think it's hardware. The volume does seem to change correctly, so that works at least, but the multiple blips are annoying and confusing (because i expect each blip to correspond with a step in volume).

2. The virtual mouse doesn't seem to handle the screen edges well when the screen's zoomed in. The normal behaviour of the mouse in zoom mode is for the focus of the screen to follow the cursor; the virtual mouse does this for the most part, but often the cursor will shoot off to the corner of the screen when it encounters a screen edge, rendering it useless until you disable screen zooming and move it back.

Is there a solution to either of these issues?

Thanks! 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Apple® Remote
User

07.03.2010 18:53:46
Re: two small bugs (volume indicator and zoom)
View

Thanks for asking.

Please find my replies below.

1. The volume indicator sound (the 'blip' noise) often plays multiple times. i.e., instead of pressing volume up and getting a 'blip' sound, i'll often get a 'blip-blip' or 'blip-blip-blip'. It's not every single time, but just about, and i've noticed it with both the PS3 remote and the (white) Apple Remote, so i don't think it's hardware. The volume does seem to change correctly, so that works at least, but the multiple blips are annoying and confusing (because i expect each blip to correspond with a step in volume).

The volume sound is played when the button on the remote is pressed - and played again when you release it. If you only press the button shortly, the sound will be played twice in quick succession. I'll see what can be done about this. If you want RB to not play the sound at all, you can change the respective option at RB Prefs > General.

2. The virtual mouse doesn't seem to handle the screen edges well when the screen's zoomed in. The normal behaviour of the mouse in zoom mode is for the focus of the screen to follow the cursor; the virtual mouse does this for the most part, but often the cursor will shoot off to the corner of the screen when it encounters a screen edge, rendering it useless until you disable screen zooming and move it back.

I'm afraid this is an issue in OS X' zooming functionality. Remote Buddy only moves the cursor (=> and uses the same API that f.ex. OS X Screen Sharing uses for this) while OS X is responsible for handling anything that is connected to this, like moving focus along when the screen is zoomed. You should definitely file a bugreport with Apple on this, so they know about it and have a chance to fix it.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

07.03.2010 19:13:01
Re: two small bugs (volume indicator and zoom)
View

Thanks for your response!

The volume sound is played when the button on the remote is pressed - and played again when you release it. If you only press the button shortly, the sound will be played twice in quick succession. I'll see what can be done about this. If you want RB to not play the sound at all, you can change the respective option at RB Prefs > General.

Thanks, i didn't even notice the 'Advanced' button until you mentioned it. Disabling the sound is good enough for me.

I'm afraid this is an issue in OS X' zooming functionality. Remote Buddy only moves the cursor (=> and uses the same API that f.ex. OS X Screen Sharing uses for this) while OS X is responsible for handling anything that is connected to this, like moving focus along when the screen is zoomed. You should definitely file a bugreport with Apple on this, so they know about it and have a chance to fix it.

I see, i may do that — although i foresee them asking me to reproduce in other applications. You're saying i should be able to replicate this bug if, for example, i turn on OS X's VNC server and then connect from any standard VNC client, correct? 
User

09.03.2010 01:52:46
Re: Re: two small bugs (volume indicator and zoom)
View

On 08/03/2010, at 5:13 AM, dana wrote:

I see, i may do that — although i foresee them asking me to reproduce in other applications. You're saying i should be able to replicate this bug if, for example, i turn on OS X's VNC server and then connect from any standard VNC client, correct?

Before you go to Apple, just check that the Mac does not think it has two screens. I have had these sort of symptoms in the past and checking System Preferences>Displays showed there was a phantom screen onto which the mouse pointer was moving.

Bill 

User

17.03.2010 15:26:46
Re: Re: two small bugs (volume indicator and zoom)
View

I see, i may do that — although i foresee them asking me to reproduce in other applications. You're saying i should be able to replicate this bug if, for example, i turn on OS X's VNC server and then connect from any standard VNC client, correct?

Absolutely.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz