Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

07.03.2010 01:48:09
Can I use more than the 6 buttons of the Apple remote with a universal remote?
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hi,

I know that the Apple IR receiver is limited to Apple-only remotes and thus only 6 commands. But if I use another IR receiver like an EyeTV with built-in IR or, even better, a PS3 Harmony adapter, can I use more buttons than only 6?

My Yamaha receiver has a programmable remote control with a lot of buttons. Using RemoteBuddy, I use this remote to control Plex and other apps. But if I were to use the PS3 Harmony Adapter, could RemoteBuddy detect other button presses of the remote and then map it to a function?

Let's say I want to use the DISPLAY button to display information in Plex. Can I do that? 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - EyeTV Receiver
Hardware - Harmony® Smart Control
User

07.03.2010 18:38:41
Re: Can I use more than the 6 buttons of the Apple remote with a universal remote?
View

Thanks for asking.

You can use all buttons (except - of course - dedicated remote control hardware power on/off buttons that don't send anything and just control the remote's own electronics - like f.ex. the power button on the Wii Remote) of all supported remotes with Remote Buddy. Please see

http://www.iospirit.com/products/remotebuddy/hardware/

for a complete list (including the usable button count for each remote as part of the respective fact sheet).

The PS3 Harmony Adapter is detected and handled like a real PS3 Remote (of which, all buttons are supported), so that - insofar as a Harmony Remote + PS3 adapter is capable of emulating the original PS3 remote's button codes - you'll be able to map buttons differently. I personally can't recommend using the PS3 Harmony Adapter, though, because it - in hardware - adds a noticable lag to the button presses that the original PS3 remote doesn't have (the original PS3 remote is pretty instant). So if you're looking for a way to add more buttons, the real PS3 remote is probably the way better - and also much more cost-effective - choice.

That aside, I haven't looked into what IR codes the Harmony Remote sends to the PS3 Adapter, but I really doubt that you can use any remote other than a Harmony Remote together with a Harmony PS3 Adapter.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

25.03.2010 11:32:09
Re: Can I use more than the 6 buttons of the Apple remote with a universal remote?
View

I am sorry if I am slow or something... I need to get this straight:

The 6 buttons on the Apple Remote aren't really sufficient. I would like to program my Yamaha receiver's remote to other functions. I understand that I need a separate IR receiver to do this since the Apple built-in one is compatible with Apple remotes only.

1) I have an EyeTV Hybrid. Can I use that receiver? And according to the hardware section of this site, I will need to have EyeTV running in order for the remote to work.

2) Can I program my remote with whatever spare remote I have lying around and then blast it to Remote Buddy, then map it to whatever functions I want?

I mean, even if I teach my univeral remote the Apple Remote codes, it's still just 6 buttons. 

User

30.03.2010 11:11:46
Re: Re: Can I use more than the 6 buttons of the Apple remote with a universal remote?
View

Thanks for asking.

1) I have an EyeTV Hybrid. Can I use that receiver? And according to the hardware section of this site, I will need to have EyeTV running in order for the remote to work.

Yes, you should be able to use an EyeTV Hybrid receiver with Remote Buddy and the remote that came with it. For compatibility information and which remotes are supported with that receiver, please see the hardware page: 
http://www.iospirit.com/products/remotebuddy/hardware/

2) Can I program my remote with whatever spare remote I have lying around and then blast it to Remote Buddy, then map it to whatever functions I want?

No. It has to be a remote supported by Remote Buddy and the receiver. For compatibility information, please see the page pointed to above.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz