Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

20.03.2010 18:25:26
Best Way to Wake a Mini?
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
What is the best method to wake a sleeping Mini? I'm currently sending a "FrontRow" command as Harmony has that command built into their software when you add a Mini device. Once that is sent, I've built delays into my macros (10s) because if the Mini isn't fully awake before the Harmony continues sending commands (activate EyeTV, open live tv window, etc) they get lost. Is there a better method of doing this that doesn't involve having to send multiple commands from the Harmony with built in delays? (It's annoying to have to hold the remote at the Mini for 10 seconds waiting for additional commands.) I would much rather handle this somehow through RB and only need the Harmony to send one button press.

On a side note, does anyone know if Elgato has addressed the issue where EyeTV won't allow the Mini to sleep? It's a known issue that best of my knowledge Elgato hasn't addressed in software.

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - EyeTV Receiver
Hardware - Harmony® Smart Control
User

23.03.2010 17:01:46
Re: Best Way to Wake a Mini?
View

Thanks for asking.

If you're using a Mac Mini with an Intel processor, it'll wakeup when it receives an Apple Remote button press. If it's not paired, it'll wake on any Apple Remote's button presses. If it's paired, it'll only wake on button presses of that particular remote. Please note that the wakeup time can't be shortened by sending multiple button presses. Most of it is OS X waiting for the harddrive's motor to spin up again - which can't be accelerated.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

23.03.2010 19:31:06
View

Thanks Felix. But I'm still not clear on the "best" method. What I was considering doing was creating an applescript that essentially "wakes" the mini once triggered, opens (or activates) EyeTV, opens a live window, and makes it full screen. Currently, my Harmony is sending those commands as four events in a macro. Instead, I want to have the Harmony send one button event, and have RB do all the work so that if the IR line of site is broken everything still fires. Does OSX tell RB that it is "awake" so RB can continue it's scripting? Or do I need to build in arbitrary pauses (10s)?

User

24.03.2010 15:35:35
View

Hi Andrew,

I think that an AppleScript is definitely the way to go for what you want to accomplish. I'm not sure if the script will initiate a "self pause" while the Mini's drive spins up, but there are ways, in AppleScript, to control this manually. If you find that the script isn't executing properly try putting in some repeat loops that do nothing but wait for a process to appear before allowing the script to continue:

[code] 
set frontApp to ""

tell application "System Events" 
tell application "EyeTV" 
activate 
end tell 
repeat while frontApp is not "EyeTV" 
set frontApp to name of the first process whose frontmost is true 
end repeat 
--your code here 
end tell 
[/code]

This script will launch EyeTV then test to see if it's the front app, if not it tests again, and again, and again, and.... until EyeTV is in front. Only then will it continue to execute the script. FWIW I use scripts like this in my HTPC Mini quite often—even when I am switching to an already running app. On a fully awake Mini, with hard drives spinning, the test to check if "foo" is the frontmost app (after sending, say, cmd-tab) fails 13-20 times before "foo" is really at the front!

Good luck! 

User

26.03.2010 02:27:15
View

Thanks Dave. I'll try it out!