Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

24.03.2010 13:44:05
Creating a behaviour to run scripts
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
I have a couple shell scripts (that I can easily wrap in or port to AppleScript) that aren't really associated with an Application, but that I want to be able to fire off using remote buddy.

I'm totally new to Remote Buddy, but after several hours of banging my head against the wall, I've been unsuccessful in figuring out how to do this. I can kind of do what I want if I create a new custom action off an existing behavior, but I can't figure out how to have a behavior that's just for this purpose. I don't really want to have to activate some other app to run the script.

Any advice? 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Behaviours
Configuration
Hardware - Apple® Remote
User

24.03.2010 13:59:36
Re: Creating a behaviour to run scripts
View

Thanks for asking.

You have several possibilities:

1) Check the "Globally available" checkbox for the respective actions in the Custom Action Editor (=> in Prefs > Mapping > [App of your choice] > "Custom actions" entry in popup) and you can select and use that action anywhere. The application controlled by the Behaviour you added this action to doesn't need to be running.

2) Add it in the Behaviour Construction Kit > Action Factory and check the "Globally available" checkbox. Your action now becomes available everywhere (in the "Misceallaneous" category at Prefs > Mapping and at Actions > Miscellaneous at Prefs > Menu)

3) Create your own Behaviour using the Behaviour Construction Kit > Behaviour Factory, mark your action to be globally available and add your action to the newly created Behaviour. Then make sure the metadata is set correctly, so it doesn't depend on any particular application, compile, testdrive and install it. Just like in 1), you can now access your action everywhere in Remote Buddy, filed under the name of the Behaviour you created.

For step by step instructions, please see the Remote Buddy Help > How To section.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

24.03.2010 14:36:53
Re: Creating a behaviour to run scripts
View

Thanks for the advice.

In reading your response and going through the documentation again, I realized the source of my stumbling block.

I neglected to realize creating my own profile menu would give me more control. I was trying to use the built-in menu and just couldn't get it to do anything I wanted to.

Thanks again, I'm sure I'll have more questions as I delve deeper into the capabilities of your fine product.