Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

06.04.2010 10:00:43
Creating a keystroke to put the monitor only to sleep.
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
I have found that using the keystroke control-shift-eject will put a monitor asleep while leaving the computer awake.

I attempted to make it so that I could sleep the monitor while listening to itunes so when I sleep I can hear the music but not be annoyed by the light from my monitor.

Is there a way I can make remote buddy recognize that I want to use the eject key as part of a keystroke? 
Would also be useful for sleeping a computer right from a program, or logging off, or even restarting/shutting down a computer with a key press while in a particular program. 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Apple® Remote
User

09.04.2010 11:40:31
Re: Creating a keystroke to put the monitor only to sleep.
View

Thanks for asking.

Media keys (such as volume up/down and eject) are not handled by the keyboard subsystem of Mac OS X (they're handled by BezelServices via the generalized HID subsystem). In result, both their recording and playback as keystrokes isn't supported by OS X (=> these keys aren't submitted over OS X Screen Sharing sessions for the same reason).

Since Apple doesn't provide any public API for putting monitors to sleep or offers any way to configure the keyboard shortcut for this functionality, either, I'm afraid I can't help you in this case. Sorry.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

10.04.2010 04:34:27
View

This IS possible, but not with a key stroke. There is a simple utility you can get called SleepDisplay, which instantly puts the display to sleep when it's launched, and then exits. You'll just have to bind a button on your remote to launch it. This is what i do and it works almost flawlessly. Here's the download link:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/26234/sleep-display 

User

11.04.2010 23:57:06
View

Cool, I got it working now. Thank you for the advice!!! 
User

19.05.2010 12:23:44
View

Does anyone have the source code for this app, or know how it can be achieved? I'm looking for a way to use this in a keystroke too - but I'm having a hard time finding a way to do it - writing cocoa or objective-c is no problem for me, I just need to find the APIs 
User

04.09.2011 22:50:50
View

Since Apple doesn't provide any public API for putting monitors to sleep or offers any way to configure the keyboard shortcut for this functionality, either, I'm afraid I can't help you in this case. Sorry.

Well, the authors of SleepDisplay and DisplaySleepr apps managed to do that somehow. So it's doable.

Does anyone have the source code for this app, or know how it can be achieved? I'm looking for a way to use this in a keystroke too - but I'm having a hard time finding a way to do it - writing cocoa or objective-c is no problem for me, I just need to find the APIs

I think the best way to do that is to ask the author that question. http://www.malcolmhall.com/products/sleepdisplay/ 
User

05.09.2011 10:45:11
View

Well, the authors of SleepDisplay and DisplaySleepr apps managed to do that somehow. So it's doable.

Sure, it's doable - but not through emulated keystrokes / _public_ APIs. It's only doable through _private_ APIs. Which - in this particular case - if called under older OS X releases (10.4 in particular), leads to a kernel panic. This alerted me. There's no guarantee why the same couldn't happen under new OS releases. There's just no way to know - nobody can look into the future.

The risk of crashing may be acceptable for freeware, but it's not acceptable for a commercial product like Remote Buddy, which is built on public, documented APIs for maximized stability.

It's not that I haven't looked into it.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz