Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

27.04.2010 10:46:52
Ajax remote with iphone: Camera giving error message
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hi there!

I am trying to get the camera feature of the ajax remote working and I keep getting the same error "No camera available (or in use by another application)". Everything else works exactly as described on my iphone. I am a bit stumped. Researching through the forum, I tried the available solutions but nothing has worked so far. The imac is set for default built in isight camera, in quicktime prefs. There are no apps or devices using the video input. All software that uses the cam works fine too. So what else could be the issue? Everything is up to date software and OS-wise. Maybe something to do with a firewall? Is there another way to test or troubleshoot to determine the problem?

Any and all help is appreciated! Thanks... 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - iPhone™ / iPod® touch / AJAX Remote
User

27.04.2010 14:23:47
Re: Ajax remote with iphone: Camera giving error message
View

Thanks for asking.

Please check that

1) no other application using the iSight is running (like f.ex. Photobooth and in some modes also iChat, iMovie, ..) 
2) you didn't turn off access to the camera at Remote Buddy Prefs > AJAX Remote.

Is the green light next to the iSight lit?

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

27.04.2010 20:42:43
View

HI Felix,

Thanks for the quick response!

1) Yes, I can confirm that no other application or external device is using the isight. I have a 2009 imac with built in camera. When I open quicktime 7 and go to preferences, I can confirm my settings are correct. Applications that use the cam work properly when launched. (ichat, photo booth, etc.)

2) No, the green light has never come on when selecting camera from the ajax launcher screen. I have double checked the preferences in RB are all properly set. I have even turned on logging and checked my console to see if I could learn anything in terms of strange error messages. Nothing seems out of the ordinary. In the console, I see the "GET" request over and over.

3) I opened it in my default browser Chrome on the imac and had the same problem. Everything else works as expected.

4) I have used both the bonjour and ethernet urls. Same outcome with each.

I have a feeling either it must be network related or possibly permission issue with the script? Like I said, I'm stumped. Everything else works as advertised. I will continue troubleshooting and will post my findings if I stumble across a solution. For all I know it could be totally obvious (and yes, the button for allowing previewing is checked!). A start would be getting the green light to come on...then I would the device is getting the instruction. 

User

04.05.2010 11:05:36
Re: Re: Ajax remote with iphone: Camera giving error message
View

Thanks for the info.

Do you have any other cameras connected to your Mac by any chance?

Although I believe that the setting you make in QuickTime Player 7 only affects this particular application: what camera have you selected there (my setting there is "Automatic")?

Remote Buddy doesn't use any scripts. It uses a webserver of its own (IOSPIRIT RapidHTTPD). The error message you see is actually an image and sent by the server when it couldn't get exclusive access to the default camera device.

At this point, I don't have any idea why Remote Buddy would be the only application on your Mac that doesn't get access to the default camera device. Do you see any error messages under "All messages" in Console.app? If you want me to have a look, please open System-Profiler.app, select "Save", save a file in SPX format and send it to info@iospirit.com.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

04.05.2010 21:04:51
View

Hi Felix,

I was able to finally fix it in the following manner... My problem was actually twofold, the first was the wifi connection from the iphone to my router and the second was a runaway process that was slipping my notice in the syslog. Once I realized that it was a server and not a script as I had assumed, I simply reset everything and begun the setup process from scratch. I restarted my router from the admin page which forced all my devices to renew their dhcp ip's. Updated and renewed the iphone as well. Then I went to my console and saw that i had a runaway process caused by old USB device driver...I am pretty sure that was what had the video port confused. I killed the process and turned off the driver in system preferences.

Finally I opened RB preferences. Turned off the ajax server, unchecked everything and turned it back on. Making sure that was working, I then went ahead turned it off again and checked the video preference, turned it back on and it opened up without any issue! So I think it was obviously the USB driver with the runaway process that was looking for the device which was not attached to the machine coupled with the random spotty dhcp issue. Problem solved.

I must say I love this product so much, it really is quite amazing! Thanks for your time and help! 

User

04.05.2010 22:47:46
Re: Re: Ajax remote with iphone: Camera giving error message
View

Thanks a lot for your detailed feedback and describing your way to the solution.

Out of interest: which USB driver was causing you this issue?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

04.05.2010 23:09:07
View

The culprit was from Game Pad Companion v2.4 (http://www.carvware.com/gamepadcompanion.html).

I have a usb gamepad controller that i sometimes use as midi device for my audio apps and the device came with no native support for OS X, so game pad companion solved the issue. The problem was that you have start and stop the control panel, I did not have the device connected but the service was still running and the errors were bloating my syslog like crazy! Apparently it was also interfering with your product as well. I will see if i can reproduce the issue to be absolutely sure.

will let you know... 

User

19.10.2010 18:39:09
View

Hello,

So this seems to be the exact problem I've been having but I'm not nearly as tech savvy so I have no idea what you're talking about when you describe how-to-fix-the-problem. Is there a way you could walk a complete luddite through what you did to fix it?

Thanks in advance! 
Rio Gonzalez