Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

13.06.2010 16:07:59
Multiple actions on single click problem
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hi. I am using a mac mini with mac os x 10.6.3 as a media center running eyetv 3.4 and remote buddy 1.16.3. Everything from my pov is up2date. I chose to buy and install remote buddy so I can use my new aluminum apple remote as an alternative to the rather ugly original eyetv remote. Everything worked fine for a short while, but now, when I use the apple remote, it seems like multiple actions are triggered on a single click of the remote. e.g. when I click "menu (long)" both, the eyetv menu and remote buddy menu show up at the same time when there should only show up the eyetv menu. or when I click "menu (short)" the remote buddy menu shows up, but when I then start navigation "up" or "down" the menu disappears again and also the volume overlay pops up. So from my perspective it feels like multiple actions are triggered on a single click as if two or more threads are reacting to the apple remote incoming events. Could it be that eyetv and remote buddy are reacting to the remote? I already installed "remote control diagnostics" and did a diagnostic without a hint on what might be wrong. Any help and ideas are appreciated.

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

General
Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - EyeTV Receiver
User

22.06.2010 09:04:46
Re: Multiple actions on single click problem
View

Thanks for asking. Sorry that the reply took a bit longer - I was on a holiday and didn't have access to any EyeTV hardware.

Which EyeTV receiver are you using?

Does covering the EyeTV Receiver's built-in IR Receiver with something solid (f.ex. a book, a finger, ..) make the problem disappear?

Please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

25.06.2010 18:03:14
View

Hi Felix,

thx for your post. I am using the "eyetv sat". I did as you suggested and blocked the eyetv sat IR receiver and tata ... as by magic ... it works. Good thinking Felix. Sometimes it's much simpler than one thinks.

But now ... what's the next step? As I don't want to have the big book standing in front of my eyetv sat for much longer ;-) Is there a way to switch of apple remote support via the eyetv sat IR receiver? Or what?

Many thanks so far.

User

25.06.2010 19:05:12
Re: Re: Multiple actions on single click problem
View

Thanks for the info!

Am I correct in assuming that, in Remote Buddy's interface, the Apple Remote for the built-in receiver is active whereas the Apple Remote for the EyeTV Receiver is shows as being inactive?

If so, I think I already know what's the problem and should be able to fix it with the next release.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

01.07.2010 21:11:47
View

Hi Felix,

Nope. Both IR-Receivers are shown as active. What helps me at the moment is blocking the eyetv sat IR-Receiver by hiding the device in my media furniture. So right now I can use the Apple Remote via Remote Buddy and the build in IR receiver just fine. The drawback though is, that I can't use the eyetv standard controller for the moment (which is frankly not a big problem).

I played around with activating/deactivating IR-controllers via Remote Buddy's interface instead of blocking the eyetv IR-controller, without any luck. This way I thought I could just simply deactivate the IR-Receiver of the eyetv sat, but the problems persisted until I physically blocked the IR-receiver.

As far as I understand, the build-in IR-receiver will never react to any other remote controller but the Apple Remote, correct?

So I thought that maybe deactivating the build-in IR-receiver and somehow binding both remote controllers, apple remote and eyetv remote, to the eyetv IR-receiver would do the trick. But I somehow wasn't able to achieve this setup.

Best Regards

User

05.07.2010 11:37:37
Re: Re: Multiple actions on single click problem
View

Thanks for the info.

What I meant wasn't the status of the receivers itself but the indicator in front of the two "Apple Remote" entries.

Remote Buddy makes sure that for each remote type, only the signals of the best, highest resolution receiver that's attached to the system are used. That's why, when your system has a built-in Apple IR receiver, Remote Buddy will keep the Apple Remote for that receiver enabled and disable it for the EyeTV Receiver.

Now, what creates the issue at hand?

Since a recent change in Remote Buddy's EyeTV Receiver support code, the following happens: 
If a remote (whose signal comes in via the EyeTV Receiver) is deactivated, Remote Buddy takes care that all button presses for it are handled by EyeTV. 
This is problematic for the Apple Remote, because then an Apple Remote press can be handled by both Remote Buddy (received from the built-in Apple IR Receiver) and EyeTV (received via its own EyeTV Receiver).

The next release (of which I'll send you a beta shortly) will take this into account and make sure that, if you have another Apple Remote in your system, its signals won't be handled by EyeTV even if the remote has been disabled in Remote Buddy.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz