Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

22.06.2010 11:10:05
fickle Wii remote IR mouse
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hello,

I'm currently testing your demo version of Remote Buddy on OSX 10.5.8, and it's a great piece of software I'll buy if you help me with this:

I set up the Wii remote to be used as IR mouse, by using a wireless sensor bar and calibrating the remote. For some reason it took me a lot of retries until last night when it suddenly started working.

Before I tried using candles, the wii sensor bar itself, a wireless sensor bar, restarting my machine, and for all I could see the calibration working (dots on the black from the sensor bar), but the mouse pointer would not react at all to the remote. Last night, with one final frustrated try, emulating my normal Wii setup by putting the sensor bar on my tv rather than under the computer screen, it all of a sudden worked. since then I can place the sensor bar freely, to places where it didn't respond before, and it all works really robust.

The only difference I can think of is that I installed (and also failed using as IR mouse) DarwiinRemote, which forced a restart.

I'm sure this has come up before and I haven't searched for the right thing in the forum, but can you tell me 
- a simple step-by-step guide of how to set up the wii remote IR mouse specifically, and, if there are no extra steps other than registering the remote (which worked fine throughout, I already used it for a great presentation) 
- hint if there are any stability issues with this part of the software

Thanks, 
Matthias 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware
Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - Wii™ Remote
User

22.06.2010 12:49:32
Re: fickle Wii remote IR mouse
View

Thanks for asking.

1) I haven't tried myself, but it's very likely that if you tried to concurrently use another software for the Wii Remote, this other software has caused your issues.

2) Calibration is not needed and shouldn't be performed unless the shape of your room differs significantly from a normal room. The default values are already optimized for all common cases. Please note that if you don't carry out calibration correctly, you'll leave Remote Buddy's Wii Remote driver with a stack of wrong values, which can lead to unwanted results. Therefore, it's best to leave this setting alone and - if you've used it without any real necessity - reset it back to default values by clicking on "Reset to defaults".

3) The setup is pretty straight forward: open Remote Buddy's Setup Wizard and follow its instructions to pair the Wii Remote. That's all there is to it. Once the Wii Remote is paired with Remote Buddy, it just works. No further setup is required. And as previously mentioned, no calibration is necessary.

4) No stability issues are known.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

23.06.2010 16:08:32
Re: fickle Wii remote IR mouse
View

1) I haven't tried myself, but it's very likely that if you tried to concurrently use another software for the Wii Remote, this other software has caused your issues.

That would be to be expected. Ironically it only started working after I used (and quit) the other application, while the IR mouse didn't work in it, either.

2) Calibration is not needed and shouldn't be performed unless the shape of your room differs significantly from a normal room. The default values are already optimized for all common cases. Please note that if you don't carry out calibration correctly, you'll leave Remote Buddy's Wii Remote driver with a stack of wrong values, which can lead to unwanted results. Therefore, it's best to leave this setting alone and - if you've used it without any real necessity - reset it back to default values by clicking on "Reset to defaults".

Will do that, thanks for explaining this.

3) The setup is pretty straight forward: open Remote Buddy's Setup Wizard and follow its instructions to pair the Wii Remote. That's all there is to it. Once the Wii Remote is paired with Remote Buddy, it just works. No further setup is required. And as previously mentioned, no calibration is necessary.

4) No stability issues are known.

That's exactly how I've done it since day 1. Good to know you're confident with this working; not good that I had a weird and fairly consistent bug that might or might not happen again.